Question 2070S in which PCIe slot?

Feb 19, 2020
Hello, I have a 2070 super that belongs in a PCIe 3.0 x 16 slot. However, on my motherboard (TUF X570-Plus), it has two PCIe slots that are both PCIe 4.0x16, however the second slot has only 4 BUS speed while the first one has the full 16 BUS speed. I am unable to put my 2070s into the first PCIe slot because of the massive cpu cooler that I have which is blocking it. I am forced to put it into the second slot. I was wondering if since the graphics card requires a lower standard of PCIe, and the slot that it is in supports PCIe 4.0 x 16 (but is at 4 BUS speed), is the graphics card running at the full potential? If not, how could I check or what could solve this problem because I am very confused.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Is your cooler facing up? Should be pointing to the case rear. I don't see how your cooler would interfere otherwise. Besides ram, cooler Manufactures are pretty mindful of not blocking other things.

As asked, what cooler is it?

Could probably use the second slot. Look at the specs whether it'll operate 16x if it's the only slot populated.

Feb 19, 2020
Is your cooler facing up? Should be pointing to the case rear. I don't see how your cooler would interfere otherwise. Besides ram, cooler Manufactures are pretty mindful of not blocking other things.

As asked, what cooler is it?

Could probably use the second slot. Look at the specs whether it'll operate 16x if it's the only slot populated.
The Noctua NH-U14S . Where would I find the specs? GPU manual?

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Motherboard manual. I had a look, it doesn't hint whether second slot shall receive full bandwidth if first slot isn't used.

Your heatsink shouldn't be giving you any trouble though if positioned like this

index.php

Feb 19, 2020
Motherboard manual. I had a look, it doesn't hint whether second slot shall receive full bandwidth if first slot isn't used.

Your heatsink shouldn't be giving you any trouble though if positioned like this

index.php
That's what I find strange. Let's say I turn the whole cooler around 180 degrees, would it even do anything in getting out of the way of the PCIe slot because it's symmetrical?

TRENDING THREADS