Question 2080 GPU core clock fluctuating and presenting performance issues.

Feb 11, 2020
Hey,

I got an RTX 2080 MSI Gaming X Trio in August. 2 months went perfect without any problems, but then suddenly I started seeing some micro-stutters and FPS loss while having something on both my monitors (one 144 and other 60hz at the time). Took my GPU to the retailer for maintenance.. but MSI couldn't find anything wrong with the card so it came back.... and the issues continued. So I took it back and they refunded it. I took another similar GPU and bought another 144 hz monitor to make sure that isn't an issue (as some people have stated on forums) and now also reinstalled my Windows from scratch. And yet the issues persist.

So what happens performancewise is that my coreclock fluctuates constaly like crazy jumping from 1700 to 400 and up and down and up and down while under load. I've understood that this series does fluctuate but is it supposed to fluctuate this much? I'm seeing some frameskips here and there, but no FPS loss now and I'm able to watch youtube videos again on full screen on one monitor and play a game on the other. My memory clock also jumps from 7000 down and up and down and up.

Now I'd like to know what causes this and can I do something about because I paid 800 euros for a GPU so I would not see issues like this. My temps in the entire case are low... GPU runs at 28-29 degrees celsius idle while my processor runs at 32-34. Under stress GPU goes up to 50 and a bit over I think, with more demanding games closer to 60 and my processor (i7-9700k) is somewhere between 50-60. Could this be a power supply issue? I have a Corsair RM750x and it's about 1 year old.

Could really use some help and insight with this issue. When the GPU is idle, the clock speed seems stable now. With the previous 2080 I also had the issue of if I set maximum performance in nvidia control panel, the clock speed would lock onto 1515 mhz at all times, idle and under load. Haven't checked what it does this time around.

MSI sent me a BIOS update for the previous card, which did nothing. So yeah, help appreciated.