[SOLVED] 2080 Ti - 1ms clock drop during FireStrike.

litwicki23

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2009
Hello.
I have a question. I am using Rtx 2080 Ti Waterforce and 9900K and Corsair 850RmX. ALL stock,no oc.
I run 3dmark firestrike 1920x1080. Monitor 1440P native.
Using Msi Afterburner not the newest,and riva tuner statistic.

Few days ago ,when i run Fire Strike GPU test 1 on loop, i saw a clock dip from 1980mhz to 1570mhz for 1ms. GPU LOAD not changed,it was 96%. Only gpu clock dip for a 1ms.
I checked in logs,and during that gpu power drop to 58%.

Log from MSI:

ui1.jpg

But then i look at gpuz and gpuz not report that,all was fine,no drop in clock and power.

I tried to replicate that. So i run in windowed mode Fire Strike and was messing in Windows, to force gpu power drops. It drops gpu power but clock was steady and not dropped,like before.

So why i cant reproduce that clock drop anymore? And why that happened? Should i worry?

Solution
Hi there,

Well, firstly I'd say you are worrying about nothing. There could be a number of reasons why you had that drop, but most likely it is because you may have opened an app that requires some GPU resource for that 'split'second, or perhaps could have been a HD/SSD/Ram blip, which caused it.

Either way, looking at your screenshot, you don't have a problem. It seems very consistent.

I'd agree with Lutfij, and update the obvious stuff. I'd add to update to the latest system drivers for your mobo too!

Also, newer GPU's/CPU's and how they boost, and the power/current required at a given load has really changed. These things dynamically change on the fly to produce the best results. I really think you are focusing on the wrong...
Hi there,

Well, firstly I'd say you are worrying about nothing. There could be a number of reasons why you had that drop, but most likely it is because you may have opened an app that requires some GPU resource for that 'split'second, or perhaps could have been a HD/SSD/Ram blip, which caused it.

Either way, looking at your screenshot, you don't have a problem. It seems very consistent.

I'd agree with Lutfij, and update the obvious stuff. I'd add to update to the latest system drivers for your mobo too!

Also, newer GPU's/CPU's and how they boost, and the power/current required at a given load has really changed. These things dynamically change on the fly to produce the best results. I really think you are focusing on the wrong things.

Play a game. Is it smooth? Does it give you the expected FPS while playing? Is it enjoyable? These are things to focus on, rather than some minor anomaly in an otherwise consistent run.

If you find it's hard to replicate, that's because it is! Its just a minor change, based on a graph and log. Don't focus too hard on that.

edit: my eyesight is too poor. I can't see your GPU temps in that graph. It may be that whilst at load (GPU), it's possible the temps went high, and as a result it may have momentarily dropped clockspeed (throttle). But, being honest, I don't think it's that.

Reactions: Phaaze88
Solution

litwicki23

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2009
I know maybe why it not dropping clock ( trying to reproduce ) in firestrike in window mode when i forcing gpu power to drop by apps in background. GPUZ telling that utilization is PWR,VREL,VOP.
When it dropped clock few days ago test was in FULLSCREEN MODE and utilization only PWR ( green all ). Maybe thats why it dropped clock when power drops too. Maybe PWR only is more sensitive or something.

Anyway no worries ?

PS:
Temps was good 57-60C

When drop happened it was 436.15 drivers. Now i am on 436.30
Mobo is bios updated. ALso i have Windows 1903v

litwicki23

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2009
Hey guys. Last question.
During this time my monitor broked. I mean.

Something like this appeared on screen:

cv.jpg

Like smudge or something.

Its my topic:

https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/acer-predator-xb271huab-rma-burn-in.3535037/

I resolved by buying new monitor Aorus AD27QD and its fine on new display.

And my question is. Monitor get broken because of just monitor or that was related to that 1 sec power drops and clock drops in game?

Hey guys. Last question.
During this time my monitor broked. I mean.

Something like this appeared on screen:

cv.jpg

Like smudge or something.

Its my topic:

https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/acer-predator-xb271huab-rma-burn-in.3535037/

I resolved by buying new monitor Aorus AD27QD and its fine on new display.

And my question is. Monitor get broken because of just monitor or that was related to that 1 sec power drops and clock drops in game?
Absolutely no way that happened because of the GPU.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I have that, plus Windows Task Bar burn-in on my current main monitor, Asus PG278QR.
I left it on one too many times overnight...

I hardly ever notice 'em. I'll replace it with an ultrawide at some point.

Many of the popular panel brands(Asus, Acer, Msi) are from the same manufacturer - AU Optronics.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
It's not moisture.

Why don't you clean the display? Just like with the rest of your hardware, it should be cleaned from time to time.

All you can really do is replace it if it bothers you that much. I have the same thing at the top of mine. I only notice it when powering on/shutting down the PC.