Question 2080 Ti SLI Liquid Overclocking

betruxa

Commendable
Jun 3, 2019
Hello.
I was thinking about buying 2 cards of 2080 Ti and to overclock them. I want to make liquid water cooling system.
I wanted to know is it better to buy 2 cheapest 2080 Ti's and water cool them or high end 2080 Ti's and water cool them?
Is there any difference between high end factory overclock and then watercool or if i myself watercool and overclock them?
Thanks!

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
The differences are minor if you plan to install full cover blocks. The higher end cards may have higher quality binned chips, but they might also have custom PCBs which will limit your water block choice. Or simply a more expensive waterblock.

The key with Pascal and Turing has always seemed to be reducing the temperature. Most chips will still top out around 2100Mhz or so at 50C. The best chips might be able to stretch to 2200Mhz. You have to ask if that extra $200 + whatever the difference in the water blocks is worth the cost.

I usually just go with an EVGA OC card (reference board) and call it a day. Slightly better binning then the base model. Or stick to a popular card like the ASUS Strix so that the water block costs are reasonable.

betruxa

Commendable
Jun 3, 2019
So you are suggesting me to get 2 of EVGA cards for liquid cooling build? It's just that I saw for example Palit 2080 ti for 1k€(that's the cheapest there is in Latvia where I live) and other cards like ASUS or Gigabyte aroud 1,4k€ . As I understand you are saying that before I buy any of 2080 Ti cards I have to check waterblocks too for compatibility to those graphic cards right? Thanks for information!
And yeah, that's what I want to know and understand is it worth to pay few extra hundreds of euros. Thank you again :)

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Palit reference cards would be fine too. EVGA makes many SKUs, some are reference, some are reference cards with custom cooling, some are custom boards, some are highly specialized for liquid nitrogen. They do honor their warranty for cards that have been watercooled though. They only ask that the card be returned with all its original equipment installed for service.

I've never been entirely sold on cards that include waterblocks. Harder to re-sell later on and there is the difficulty/risk in testing without coolant. (The people that water cool typically want the best cards on the market)

SLI is a waste unless you are running ridiculously high resolutions, that is true. Maybe a 4K 120hz monitor as well, but 4K 60hz, 1440p 75-144hz a single RTX2080Ti is enough.

betruxa

Commendable
Jun 3, 2019
It's just that I wanted to make custom liquid cooling pc and as high end as possible. Reasonably of course. And yeah I was thinking about buying ASUS PG27UQ. For now I have Gigabyte 1080 Ti with 144hz 1440p monitor.