Question 2080 with i7 7700

Mar 29, 2019
Hello!

I'm currently looking to buy a 2080 GPU, but I am unsure if it's gonna go well with my i7 7700 cpu?
And are there some other factors other than the cpu that might bottleneck the gpu? :nomouth:

Thanks in advance!

I7 7700 is still one of the fastest CPUs for some games not optimized for more than 4 threads since it has very high clocks. It shouldn't be a major limitation if any depending on what games an resolution you play at. Some thread dependent games may have slight issues, but at any resolution above 1080p, your CPU will not limit. Since you have no real upgrade path I don't think I would worry about a CPU limitation.

Reactions: mvalentindk
Mar 29, 2019
I7 7700 is still one of the fastest CPUs for some games not optimized for more than 4 threads since it has very high clocks. It shouldn't be a major limitation if any depending on what games an resolution you play at. Some thread dependent games may have slight issues, but at any resolution above 1080p, your CPU will not limit. Since you have no real upgrade path I don't think I would worry about a CPU limitation.
Aah okay, thank you very much! Well it's primarily for Apex Legends where I wish to use 16:9 1920x1080, with low settings so shouldn't be a big deal.
Are there any other factors other than the CPU, that might limit the 2080?

Mar 29, 2019
Without knowing your full setup it is hard to tell.
List your specs like this:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Dram:
Storage:
Video card:
Case:
PSU:
Even if your CPU is a limit at 1080p, you will still be seeing high framerates as it will not be severe.

CPU: i7 7700 @ 3.6GHz
Motherboard: ASUSTEK Computer INC
Dram: 16 GB
Storage: 1 TB
Video card: GTX 1060 6GB
Case: Corsair Spec-02
PSU: Corsair TX550M

I don't see anything that stands out as a major issue other than the power supply. Your 1060 is much less power hungry than an RTX 2080. The 2080 and 2080 founders edition both require a 650 watt power supply according to nvidia, but since they draw about 215-225 watts, they could potentially work on your power supply in a pinch, but remember your i7 draws a lot of power aswell. Since an over stressed PSU could cause unexpected shutdowns and potentially fail and kill your expensive components, I would strongly recommend upgrading your psu to something like this:
Antec - Earthwatts Gold Pro 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/TD...fied-semi-modular-atx-power-supply-ea750g-pro
This is basically a semi modular version of the SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold power supply but because of rebates this model is about $25 less. It delivers great efficiency, great design, and 750 watts, which will happily power your setup.
Otherwise, i think your system is set for great performance. You will see a big jump in performance from the 1060 to a 2080. Remember if your cpu does limit, you can always crank the resolution up to 4k using dsr and downscale it to your 1080p monitor to reduce cpu load and also make the game look better.

Mar 29, 2019
I don't see anything that stands out as a major issue other than the power supply. Your 1060 is much less power hungry than an RTX 2080. The 2080 and 2080 founders edition both require a 650 watt power supply according to nvidia, but since they draw about 215-225 watts, they could potentially work on your power supply in a pinch, but remember your i7 draws a lot of power aswell. Since an over stressed PSU could cause unexpected shutdowns and potentially fail and kill your expensive components, I would strongly recommend upgrading your psu to something like this:
Antec - Earthwatts Gold Pro 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/TD...fied-semi-modular-atx-power-supply-ea750g-pro
This is basically a semi modular version of the SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold power supply but because of rebates this model is about $25 less. It delivers great efficiency, great design, and 750 watts, which will happily power your setup.
Otherwise, i think your system is set for great performance. You will see a big jump in performance from the 1060 to a 2080. Remember if your cpu does limit, you can always crank the resolution up to 4k using dsr and downscale it to your 1080p monitor to reduce cpu load and also make the game look better.
Ahh okay I see, thanks again for the nice answer! Gonna check out that PSU.

I don't know too much about pc specs, but I was just wondering if I'd keep my current PSU and buy the 2080, would it still work out for my needs? I don't wish to play any games in extremely HD/4k high settings. I play pretty much every games with kinda low settings where I just only wish to use 16:9.

Btw: Would the same problem occur with a 2070?

Well you could boot the pc but as soon as you load your cpu and gpu your pc could shutdown or fail. Even if your not running at 4k you really dont want to run an expensive power hungry rtx card on a 500watt. An rtx 2070 should work better since it only has a 550 watt requirement, but its still higher than your 500 watt. if your looking to play 1080p low i dont see why your 1060 isnt enough. If you dont want to change psu but you want better 1070ti/1080 performance a 2060 should do fine. On your current psu.

Mar 29, 2019
Well you could boot the pc but as soon as you load your cpu and gpu your pc could shutdown or fail. Even if your not running at 4k you really dont want to run an expensive power hungry rtx card on a 500watt. An rtx 2070 should work better since it only has a 550 watt requirement, but its still higher than your 500 watt. if your looking to play 1080p low i dont see why your 1060 isnt enough. If you dont want to change psu but you want better 1070ti/1080 performance a 2060 should do fine. On your current psu.
Alright, I see.. So pretty much, if I'd get a RTX 2080 a 750W psu should do the job?

Well it's primarily for Apex Legends where I wish to use 16:9 1920x1080, with low settings so shouldn't be a big deal.
Are there any other factors other than the CPU, that might limit the 2080?
I really don't think it would be worth getting a 2080 just to run games at 1080p with low settings. As far as performance goes, a 2080 should offer more than double the graphics performance as a 1060. Even if you ran games at their highest settings at 1080p, you would typically be limited by CPU performance more than anything, so reducing settings wouldn't really provide any significant performance benefit. Typically, graphics settings affect load on the GPU, and don't affect load on the CPU much, so there's not much point in lowering them with such a high-end card.

What kind of monitor do you have? Does it have a high refresh-rate like 144Hz, or just a standard 60-75Hz vertical refresh? Keep in mind that your monitor can only redraw the screen as many times per second as its refresh rate, so frame rates well above that will largely go to waste, aside from reducing screen latency slightly. If you don't have one already, getting a higher refresh-rate screen could be a good idea to go with a high-end graphics card. And you could probably get away with a slightly less high-end card, as even a 2070 can offer close to double the graphics performance of a 1060, while costing a couple hundred dollars less than a 1080, and even that could arguably be considered overkill for 1080p.

The 2080 and 2080 founders edition both require a 650 watt power supply according to nvidia, but since they draw about 215-225 watts, they could potentially work on your power supply in a pinch, but remember your i7 draws a lot of power aswell.
Technically, they "recommend" a 650 watt PSU, going by the wording on their official product page for the 2080. I suspect that a quality 550 watt PSU would likely be perfectly fine as well. Also, it looks like that's the locked i7-7700, which only has a 65 watt TDP, rather than the unlocked 7700K, and it's only a quad-core with Hyperthreading, so the power draw of that and the rest of their components should be fairly low. I would be surprised if the total power draw of that system's components ever hit 400 watts, even with a 2080.

4745454b

Titan
And 400W is 80% of a 500W PSU. You'll be using less than that because you have a 550W PSU You'll be at the upper edge of what I'd run a PSU at, but as long as you don't OC anything you'll be fine to use your PSU. Upgrade it later when you have money.

I am also confused as to way you want to buy this GPU. Your 1060 should run things really well at 1080/60Hz. Should be better than low. 2060-2080 is more for 2k/4k or 144Hz gaming. I'm lost as to why you'd upgrade at all.

Mar 29, 2019
I really don't think it would be worth getting a 2080 just to run games at 1080p with low settings. As far as performance goes, a 2080 should offer more than double the graphics performance as a 1060. Even if you ran games at their highest settings at 1080p, you would typically be limited by CPU performance more than anything, so reducing settings wouldn't really provide any significant performance benefit. Typically, graphics settings affect load on the GPU, and don't affect load on the CPU much, so there's not much point in lowering them with such a high-end card.

What kind of monitor do you have? Does it have a high refresh-rate like 144Hz, or just a standard 60-75Hz vertical refresh? Keep in mind that your monitor can only redraw the screen as many times per second as its refresh rate, so frame rates well above that will largely go to waste, aside from reducing screen latency slightly. If you don't have one already, getting a higher refresh-rate screen could be a good idea to go with a high-end graphics card. And you could probably get away with a slightly less high-end card, as even a 2070 can offer close to double the graphics performance of a 1060, while costing a couple hundred dollars less than a 1080, and even that could arguably be considered overkill for 1080p.

Technically, they "recommend" a 650 watt PSU, going by the wording on their official product page for the 2080. I suspect that a quality 550 watt PSU would likely be perfectly fine as well. Also, it looks like that's the locked i7-7700, which only has a 65 watt TDP, rather than the unlocked 7700K, and it's only a quad-core with Hyperthreading, so the power draw of that and the rest of their components should be fairly low. I would be surprised if the total power draw of that system's components ever hit 400 watts, even with a 2080.
Thanks for your reply!

I have a 144hz monitor. Benq XL2411, to be exact.

The thing is I have had general interest in getting an overall better GPU for quite some time, hence why I'd want to get the 2080. This is mostly because I want to ensure it will work and keep up with the games for a good time.

(I can understand if this is a big overkill, I'm not too experienced within computer specs, so bear with me 😬)

I'm primarily playing Apex Legends where I can't play 16:9 without too many lags for it to be enjoyable.

Mar 29, 2019
And 400W is 80% of a 500W PSU. You'll be using less than that because you have a 550W PSU You'll be at the upper edge of what I'd run a PSU at, but as long as you don't OC anything you'll be fine to use your PSU. Upgrade it later when you have money.

I am also confused as to way you want to buy this GPU. Your 1060 should run things really well at 1080/60Hz. Should be better than low. 2060-2080 is more for 2k/4k or 144Hz gaming. I'm lost as to why you'd upgrade at all.
Hello!

It's mostly because I have had interest in getting a good new GPU for quite some time. I understand if this is an overkill that doesn't make much sense, but I'd like to have a GPU that I know will "work" and keep up for some years.

Here you can see full system load just breaking 400watts with 2080FE. https://www.anandtech.com/show/1334...x-2080-ti-and-2080-founders-edition-review/16
It's also worth mentioning that for the testing of those cards, they were measuring power draw from the wall, not power draw from the PSU. The PSU they were using gets just over 90% efficiency at that load level, so the 405 watts they were seeing in Battlefield One would amount to about 365-370 watts being drawn from the PSU, which is the number that you would be interested in.

And that's on a more power-hungry system, with an 8-core/16-thread i7-7820X, X299 motherboard and 4x8GB of DDR4-3200 RAM. That processor alone has a 140 watt TDP, compared to the i7-7700's 65 watts. While it won't be using that much power in a typical game, in Tom's Hardware's tests of these processors, the 7820X drew around 81 watts in their gaming loop, while the 7700 drew around 51 watts (albeit in different games). Between the difference in power consumption for those processors, and having fewer sticks of RAM, I suspect that power draw of this system with an RTX 2080 might not average much more than 330 watts from the PSU while gaming.

In fact, after writing this, I threw these components into PCPartPicker, while adding some fillers for unspecified components, and they only estimated around 324 watts of load power draw for such a system with a 2080. So yeah, a decent 550 watt PSU would most likely be fine, and would likely still provide a couple hundred watts of headroom.

Mar 29, 2019
It's also worth mentioning that for the testing of those cards, they were measuring power draw from the wall, not power draw from the PSU. The PSU they were using gets just over 90% efficiency at that load level, so the 405 watts they were seeing in Battlefield One would amount to about 365-370 watts being drawn from the PSU, which is the number that you would be interested in.

And that's on a more power-hungry system, with an 8-core/16-thread i7-7820X, X299 motherboard and 4x8GB of DDR4-3200 RAM. That processor alone has a 140 watt TDP, compared to the i7-7700's 65 watts. While it won't be using that much power in a typical game, in Tom's Hardware's tests of these processors, the 7820X drew around 81 watts in their gaming loop, while the 7700 drew around 51 watts (albeit in different games). Between the difference in power consumption for those processors, and having fewer sticks of RAM, I suspect that power draw of this system with an RTX 2080 might not average much more than 330 watts from the PSU while gaming.

In fact, after writing this, I threw these components into PCPartPicker, while adding some fillers for unspecified components, and they only estimated around 324 watts of load power draw for such a system with a 2080. So yeah, a decent 550 watt PSU would most likely be fine, and would likely still provide a couple hundred watts of headroom.
Do you think a 2070 would suit better for me? Or is there no significant difference? :nomouth:

the 7700 is down 500 MHz on all-core base clock, and 300 MHz down on single core turbo as compared to a 7700K...(problem is a 7700K costs as much as a new B360 and a new 9600K at the moment; but, if you get/have a 2080, you will want a 9700K!)

Reducing video quality settings will not increase your frame rate, it will only make the game look less crisp/dull/old, but at the same frame rate, as you would be CPU-limited...

Mar 29, 2019
2070 would do 1080p 144 aswell, butnit does perform worse than the 2080. The 2070 would better suit your monitor and psu.
Ahh okay I see. Is it a big noticeable difference?

the 7700 is down 500 MHz on all-core base clock, and 300 MHz down on single core turbo as compared to a 7700K...(problem is a 7700K costs as much as a new B360 and a new 9600K at the moment; but, if you get/have a 2080, you will want a 9700K!)

Reducing video quality settings will not increase your frame rate, it will only make the game look less crisp/dull/old, but at the same frame rate, as you would be CPU-limited...
Alright. Thanks!

How about a 2070... is that any different? 😬