Question 2080ti incredibly underperforming

Jan 26, 2022
Hello, I got my 2080 ti a few days ago and did all the same process' when I upgraded to my old 970 however my 2080ti seems to be performing much worse than my old 970.
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080ti
CPU : i7-6700k @ 4.00GHz
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS ROG MAXIMUS VIII HERO LGA 1151 Intel Z170 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 USB 3.0 ATX Intel Gaming Motherboard
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3200MHz (PC4-25600) C16 Memory Kit
PSU: Antec Earthwatts EA-650 GREEN 650W ATX12V v2.3 SLI Ready Crossfire Certified 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply
Windows 10 Pro-64-bit

View: https://imgur.com/a/vdrnYxT
- GPU-Z (Graphics Card)
View: https://imgur.com/a/xMjgKtg
- GPU-Z (Sensors)
Asus MAXIMUS VIII HERO Performance Results - UserBenchmark

EvooHD

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2015
Hello , from what i seen, ur CPU Bottlenecked , what do u expect from i7-6700K its to old for 2080 Ti monster, using CPU Bottleneck calculator, ur being held back by almost 19% of loss performance.

Also, i sussgest doing full "DDU" Driver Uninstall process and install fresh drivers, as i think ur old GTX 970 drives, might be conflicting/corrupting the new 2080 Ti. :)

2080 Ti shouldnt be running slower then 970, but with that bottleneck don't expect it to run, like high high.

Good Luck, Keep updating. :)

Reactions: spaidez

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
From now on, stretch the Gpu-Z window vertically so all the parameters are visible, that way you don't omit potentially valuable information when you screen capture.
Screenshots of Gpu-Z's Sensors window aren't very useful when no load is on the gpu.

Psu may be a problem, I don't know, not my forte. Maybe it's having trouble supplying clean power to the card, and is better suited for something like a 2060.
Someone else needs to chime in on this one.

UBM points out:
-free memory is a bit low, at 8.3GBs out of 16GBs free. Probably from leaving the browser running. 10-12GBs free is a typical result.
-both SSDs being a bit too full. 80% or less is preferable.
-you forgot to enable XMP in bios
There's also the cpu background usage, where 10% or less is acceptable, but the 12% this system got flagged for could be waived - probably just forgot to close the browser before running UBM.

EvooHD

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2015
My apologies, actually didn't saw your PSU as i was reading trought and checking pictures, didn't saw that u had low-tier psu in your system. :eek:

That "Antec Earthwatts EA-650 GREEN 650W " , is totally firehazard
Also 2080 Ti minimum PSU is 650w (For Quality tier PSU)
750w (Recommended)

U should consider a PSU Upgrade ,for a gpu like 2080 Ti, i wouldnt even think to hook up with PSU anything lower then B-Tier

Here is a PSU tier list, u should check, and maybe find some good unit from (A Tier) in your country, (B-Tier) will do also !

Hello, I got my 2080 ti a few days ago and did all the same process' when I upgraded to my old 970 however my 2080ti seems to be performing much worse than my old 970.
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS ROG MAXIMUS VIII HERO LGA 1151 Intel Z170 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 USB 3.0 ATX Intel Gaming Motherboard
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3200MHz (PC4-25600) C16 Memory Kit
PSU: Antec Earthwatts EA-650 GREEN 650W ATX12V v2.3 SLI Ready Crossfire Certified 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply
Windows 10 Pro-64-bit

- GPU-Z (Graphics Card)
- GPU-Z (Sensors)
What's it underperforming in?

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
using CPU Bottleneck calculator, ur being held back by almost 19% of loss performance.
Those are garbage and never should be used.
Windows 10 Pro-64-bit

- GPU-Z (Graphics Card)
- GPU-Z (Sensors)
In what way is it running worse? Do you have actual numbers like FPS in games or something to back it up or are you just going from Userbenchmark?

From the userbenchmark the CPU, GPU is fine, Memory needs XMP profile enabled, and your OS drive is borderline to full.

Jan 26, 2022

In what way is it running worse? Do you have actual numbers like FPS in games or something to back it up or are you just going from Userbenchmark?

From the userbenchmark the CPU, GPU is fine, Memory needs XMP profile enabled, and your OS drive is borderline to full.
Games like valorant and csgo are running at 120-160 fps on lowest video settings and extra texture settings off. Uninstalled both and reinstalled but still pretty major fps problems.

The FPS on all of the games I play are much lower on the 2080ti compared to the 970 with both on the lowest graphic settings.
Ok that doesn't sound right that it should be slower. For reference I used a 3080 with my 6700K for around 6 months before upgrading. Yes it will hold back the 2080 Ti but it shouldn't be like that.

Did you completely uninstall the drivers and download the latest from Nvidia when you upgraded?

Jan 26, 2022
I am enabling XMP profile, doing the full reinstall of DDU driver reinstall, freeing up space on the OS, and looking into better power supplies. Thank you all for the feedback so far :). I'll update when I finish

Reactions: EvooHD
Jan 26, 2022
Ok that doesn't sound right that it should be slower. For reference I used a 3080 with my 6700K for around 6 months before upgrading. Yes it will hold back the 2080 Ti but it shouldn't be like that.

Did you completely uninstall the drivers and download the latest from Nvidia when you upgraded?
Yeah I am about to do that, thankyou for the feedback

EvooHD

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2015
I am enabling XMP profile, doing the full reinstall of DDU driver reinstall, freeing up space on the OS, and looking into better power supplies. Thank you all for the feedback so far :). I'll update when I finish

Good Luck. Keep updating us. !
The PSU upgrade will help you the most, as thats the part that powers and feeds ur little monster, all the energy it needs to actually display all the high fps u want. :):)

I'm 99% positive that PSU upgrade will help you.
all other suggestions was also good to try, as PC troubleshooting can be a puzzle sometimes,

Jan 26, 2022
update: I did the DDU, reinstalled 2080 ti drivers, and created+enabled XMP profile but only slight improvements 20-30 fps. I am now freeing up some space and will be looking into a new PSU. Thanks for all the feedback

Quoted for truth, the forum member who posted that load of garbage needs to go away and learn a bit before dishing out advice to people who may go and spend money off the back of his or her words, ridiculous and misleading 'advice'. Seriously, the amount of duff advice given on here seems to increase year on year.

OP, what resolution are you running at and what's the temperature of the 2080ti under load?

coming from someone that has a 2080 Ti get a tier 1 850W PSU, with the way the RTX gpus power spike my EVGA 750W G2 PSU would trip and reboot my computer. I had an older 1600w G2 sitting in a computer not being used that i swapped in and have not had issues since.

Remember the RTX line runs by Power Factor, Voltage, and temp. If your not able to meet the power demand of the card it will not boost. From your second screen shot it doesnt look like its even getting past the core clock speed of 1350Mhz so the card isnt even boosting.

Quoted for truth, the forum member who posted that load of garbage needs to go away and learn a bit before dishing out advice to people who may go and spend money off the back of his or her words, ridiculous and misleading 'advice'. Seriously, the amount of duff advice given on here seems to increase year on year.

OP, what resolution are you running at and what's the temperature of the 2080ti under load?
What was said that you considered "garbage"? Just for those who may be curious.

Never mind. I get it now. Jeez, I'm losing it!

Jan 26, 2022

I'm on 1920x1080 and here is my temp for GPU
View: https://imgur.com/a/Lr5crxE

Jan 26, 2022
coming from someone that has a 2080 Ti get a tier 1 850W PSU, with the way the RTX gpus power spike my EVGA 750W G2 PSU would trip and reboot my computer. I had an older 1600w G2 sitting in a computer not being used that i swapped in and have not had issues since.

Remember the RTX line runs by Power Factor, Voltage, and temp. If your not able to meet the power demand of the card it will not boost. From your second screen shot it doesnt look like its even getting past the core clock speed of 1350Mhz so the card isnt even boosting.
Here is updated boost ss. I'm new to alot of this, I never did any of this stuff with my 970. Thankyou for feedback!
View: https://imgur.com/a/IdMrmtu

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Why are you posting images of the gpu's condition and parameters while it is doing nothing?
Screenshot the Sensors window while it's under load from Unigine Superposition, 3D Mark Timespy, or one of the games you're playing...

ALSO, click the down arrows in the sensors window and change them from 'show current reading' to 'show highest reading', before you do any of this.

Jan 26, 2022
Why are you posting images of the gpu's condition and parameters while it is doing nothing?
Screenshot the Sensors window while it's under load from Unigine Superposition, 3D Mark Timespy, or one of the games you're playing...

ALSO, click the down arrows in the sensors window and change them from 'show current reading' to 'show highest reading', before you do any of this.
thankyou for advice. im new to this. had it running while using
View: https://imgur.com/a/ea5uduY