2080ti + Ryzen 2700x + 1080p = Bad Combo???

Feb 10, 2019
EVGA 2080ti Black
Ryzen 7 2700x
1080p Rog Swift PG248Q 144-180hz monitor

So, I am getting okay frames on a game like Fortnite at EPIC settings. Problem is, my CPU is running at 35% and GPU at 65% fairly consistently when in demanding parts of the game, like during building when looking across a very large part of the map. Is this completely due to my 1080p resolution? I am barely using a percentage of my setup's potential it seems like. Right or wrong?

Supahos

Expert
Ambassador
You're probably using most of one core of the cpu which is the bottleneck of your system on fortnite for sure. A 2080ti for 1080p is a collosal waste of money as no cpu can push enough frames to it to come close to saturating it.

Check cpu cores individually while playing to make sure it's working as intended

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
could be the resolution.

are you running windows power plan set to high performance?

double check that the power cables to your GPU are fully pushed in all the way.
I would assume you have a power supply capable of delivering the necessary wattage for the GPU as well.

while you may be getting 65% usage, what kind of frame rate are you getting on average?

Also, as Supahos said, are you running the CPU at stock settings or overclocking it?

Also, also, what RAM do you have for your system?
Is it dual channel and what speed are they rated for?
On top of that, what is the actual speed they are running at?

Can you just provide a complete full system spec list for us including make and model of each component?
Example:
don't just say 16GB of RAM or 600w PSU
but instead say 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws V 3000Mhz (2x8GB) and Corsair CX600 Semi Modular PSU.

Feb 10, 2019

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Power plan is on High Performance, yes.

Everything hardware/cable wise installed correctly.

RAM actual speed: 3000

CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB (4 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 3000
Corsair 750w 80+ GOLD series full modular PSU
ASUS ROG Strix X470-F Gaming AM4 AMD MOBO

Stock settings all around.

160-170 AVG FPS on max settings @ 1080p

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
That frame rate is really good.

I'm not sure what the FPS limitation to the Fortnite rendering engine is, but most engines for most games caps out at 200fps when optimized correctly and sits a little lower when not optimized well.

At the same time you are experiencing low GPU usage, yet you are not experiencing low FPS.

However, assuming that the maximum FPS that the game is capable of is higher than what you are getting, then that in and of itself would signify a problem with something somewhere that is causing the GPU utilization to fall short.

Normally this will happen if the CPU just isn't capable of handling the load and it's pegged in the high 90's to 100% but you say that CPU utilization is also pretty low, which would mean something else is causing a limitation.

It has been noted that with some games, when played at 1080p on the 2080Ti as high end as it is, causes a bottleneck not in the hardware but in the software which makes things get a bit wonky.

But as it stands, your frame rate is fantastic at 1080p and max graphics all around.

So the question now is this:
Are you not satisfied with the performance results or are you just being curious as to why you are seeing usage levels the way they are right now?

One way we can test if there actually is something wrong with hardware is if you happen to have access to a much more demanding title that you can load up and crank the settings on and then see what the usage goes up to at that point, and keep tabs on the frame rates as well to see if things are matching up as expected.

Obviously you don't have a higher resolution monitor available otherwise you would probably be using it instead of the 1080p one.
But if you perhaps happen to have a 4K TV you can try plugging into it and running your desktop and in game resolution at both 1440p and 2160p and take a look at the results you get from that as well.

If all looks good then it's clearly just a thing with 1080p on Fortnite, otherwise, if things don't change then we can start troubleshooting some things to find out what is causing the limitation.

And if things end up looking good, then it might end up being time to look into getting a 1440p monitor and preferably one with G-Sync.

Supahos

Expert
Ambassador
Www.userbenchmark.com

Post the link it gives at the end. Most memory won't run above 2933 with 4 sticks so if yours isn't running at 3200 because you have 4 sticks of ram then you'd be a lot better off removing 2 sticks this will show how things are performing relative to others with Similar parts

Change power plan to ryzen balanced

And what are the individual core usages on your cpu in fortnite?

Feb 10, 2019
I'm not quite sure exactly how to read the graphs but it looks like I am using multiple cores at 70%± and some lower at 20% roughly. I set the power to Ryzen balanced. Is there a way I can post a photo on mobile if that would help?