[SOLVED] 220W TDP rated cooler on 10900K?

Gintama69

Reputable
Aug 23, 2019
Do you think I'll be able to run 10900K with 220W TDP rated cooler? (i.e. bequite! Dark Rock TF)

I bought Sliger Cerberus X case(smallest ATX case) with Dark Rock TF cooler(best air cooler I could buy locally) then found out that cooler is only rated 220W TDP.

I won't be overclocking the CPU, and I'll probably never push the 10900K cos PC will mainly get used for net/browsing, MS Office, occasional games and video editing.
But I'm still bit worried if I'm gonna encounter any overheating issue. What do you think would be the best solution?
  1. 10900K + Dark Rock TF should be fine, cos CPU will automatically run at bit slower speed if it overheats.
  2. just get bit slower/cooler CPU like 10900(non K) or 10700(non K)
  3. replace the Dark Rock TF with AIO cooler (but I've never been a fan of AIO.. )

Thank you

Solution
You're right, it is quite suspicious, considering they don't even go as far as to specify the cooler haha. Sorry, I didn't mean to make it out to be a definite.
Nah, it's fine. You were already skeptical of it anyway.
Others might not see it that way.

If the 9900K and 9900KS are anything to go by, the 10700K will be floating around there.
10900K? Just throw that thing in a tub, and be the owner of a DIY jacuzzi... I just don't see air flying with it - just forget about overclocking.
2 more physical cores... the 9900K was already hot.
Reviews will show the truth in about 3 more weeks.

Gintama69

Reputable
Aug 23, 2019
Yes I'll wait for reviews before buying the CPU and Z490 mobo..

I'd like to go for 10900K as long as I'm not gonna have overheating issue.. mainly cos I don't mind paying little extra(over 10700K etc) for the best Intel mainstream desktop..

Gintama69

Reputable
Aug 23, 2019
I've owned every top of the range Intel mainstream CPU since 4th gen, I probably spend 10+ hours per day on PC each day so I don't mind paying extra $100 for the best CPU.

Not really fan of AMD, friend has lot of stability issue with previous gen Ryzen.. and I've heard heaps of people having all sorts of minor stability issue with current Ryzen.
Also if I'm gonna pay enough $$$ for most expensive GPU, then I wanna get the most fps out of it.. and maybe wait extra 1min on video rendering time.

Im not trying to sell you on anything else, just figuring out the use case. I understand the urge to get top of the line hardware, cause who dosent right?
I will say though, having to struggle to keep a processor under operating temperatures is also considered a stability issue, one that plagues more recent intel models.

Reactions: drivinfast247

jesse13williamson

Honorable
May 20, 2018
Hello. A forum thread was recently opened discussing a stress test on the i7-10900K, and if the results are to be trusted, the Dark Rock TF would definitely not be enough if you're hoping to achieve full performance. The results show that the CPU hit a temp of 92C when it reached 5.2 GHz on every core, and that was while using a 240mm AIO cooler.

Here's the discussion if you want to take a look: https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...-235w-at-4-8-ghz-with-over-90c-temps.3605203/

Reactions: Gintama69

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
You're right, it is quite suspicious, considering they don't even go as far as to specify the cooler haha. Sorry, I didn't mean to make it out to be a definite.

If the 9900K and 9900KS are anything to go by, the 10700K will be floating around there.
10900K? Just throw that thing in a tub, and be the owner of a DIY jacuzzi... I just don't see air flying with it - just forget about overclocking.

Solution

jesse13williamson

Honorable
May 20, 2018

Cheers. Good point haha. 3 weeks... it's gonna be interesting

Reactions: Phaaze88