Question 24 gb ram - Only 8 GB usable. What's wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 21, 2020
I'm not the first person asking, and I'm sure I won't be the last one either. RAM always seems to give out issues. I bought my PC 5 years ago... with 16 gb ram, and recently it has had some issues, wouldn't start, and took it to some technicians, which fixed it. This lead to me discovering that during all of the time i've used my PC, I've only used 8 GB out of the 16 available. Technicians added 8 more GB, and yet task manager STILL. says. I can only use 8 gb. so does the bios (which briefly said 16 gb at one point but then crashed...?) what do you guys reccomend?

some info from cpu-z: motherboard asustek computer inc p9x79
ddr3 ram, channel dual, size 24 gb. dram frequency 799.9 mhz

spd 3 slots
1 : 8192 mb ddr3 team group inc dual 800 mhz
2: 8192 mb ddr3 kingston dual 667 mhz
3: same as above

I'm not the first person asking, and I'm sure I won't be the last one either. RAM always seems to give out issues. I bought my PC 5 years ago... with 16 gb ram, and recently it has had some issues, wouldn't start, and took it to some technicians, which fixed it. This lead to me discovering that during all of the time i've used my PC, I've only used 8 GB out of the 16 available. Technicians added 8 more GB, and yet task manager STILL. says. I can only use 8 gb. so does the bios (which briefly said 16 gb at one point but then crashed...?) what do you guys reccomend?

some info from cpu-z: motherboard asustek computer inc p9x79
ddr3 ram, channel dual, size 24 gb. dram frequency 799.9 mhz

spd 3 slots
Could you provide your motherboard model and Windows version.
You should try the 667MHz modules only.
I am surprised you took your PC to a "technician" and you weren't
told that it is not recommended to mix RAM modules that were not tested to work together, since it is hard to predict the outcome.
Even though half of the time it might just work fine, mixing and matching stick that may have different speed, CAS latency, timings,voltage, etc could even cause a motherboard to refuse to work
Even when they appear to be similar, the IC chips might come from different manufactures.
To be sure that RAM will work together you will have to buy RAM kits.
That's why manufacturers and vendors won't provide support for that configuration.

Jan 21, 2020
take the team group out
Could you provide your motherboard model and Windows version.
You should try the 667MHz modules only.
I am surprised you took your PC to a "technician" and you weren't
told that it is not recommended to mix RAM modules that were not tested to work together, since it is hard to predict the outcome.
Even though half of the time it might just work fine, mixing and matching stick that may have different speed, CAS latency, timings,voltage, etc could even cause a motherboard to refuse to work
Even when they appear to be similar, the IC chips might come from different manufactures.
To be sure that RAM will work together you will have to buy RAM kits.
That's why manufacturers and vendors won't provide support for that configuration.

I'm going to try that out, the thing is that I've gotten the team group ram literally today, the other two I had since when I first had the pc - yet when I had only the other two kingston rams, I would still only use 8 gb. not 16. But I'll try it again later anyways :)

Jan 21, 2020
i have tried using only the two old sticks on the slots you guys told me
i also tried them one by one including the new one
pc doesnt even go into bios now

i press turn on button
led lights up for a millisecond and then back off

my pc has been dead for a week and if any of you guys could suggest some new things to try before shipping it back again to technicians and risk getting it back working for 10 hours before dying then id be the happiest guy on earth

can pay if needed but id love someone to follow me live and find out whats wrong

Make sure to disconnect power cord from PSU while working on the PC.
Try resetting the BIOS to clear RAM settings by removing the CMOS battery and moving the jumper cap on the CLRTC jumper from 1-2 to 2-3 for 15 seconds.
The jumper (blue cap) is located at the bottom right below the heatsink with the Asus logo.
Move jumper cap back to 1-2 (default position) and re-insert the battery
Test with just the CPU, GPU and one stick of RAM on slot D1 (2nd from CPU on right side) and no disk connected.
If it get into the BIOS, power off then add the other stick of RAM on slot B1 (second from CPU left side).
Make sure all power connectors were connected properly.

Jan 21, 2020
Make sure to disconnect power cord from PSU while working on the PC.
Try resetting the BIOS to clear RAM settings by removing the CMOS battery and moving the jumper cap on the CLRTC jumper from 1-2 to 2-3 for 15 seconds.
The jumper (blue cap) is located at the bottom right below the heatsink with the Asus logo.
Move jumper cap back to 1-2 (default position) and re-insert the battery
Test with just the CPU, GPU and one stick of RAM on slot D1 (2nd from CPU on right side) and no disk connected.
If it get into the BIOS, power off then add the other stick of RAM on slot B1 (second from CPU left side).
Make sure all power connectors were connected properly.
The jumper cap is moved AFTER the cmos battery is removed, and then placed back (after 15 seconds) to the original position, and THEN then cmos battery is reinserted? Just asking to make sure, seems a bit weird but I'm not a technician and seems a bit weird. I'll do as you said, in a few hours

spd 3 slots

Your description of memory includes no part numbers. It appears to me you using "same thing, exact match, identical" choice of memory.

Memory is guaranteed in the form sold. Memory modules sold as Single modules have no guarantee to be compatible in any configuration other than as a Single module.

The jumper cap is moved AFTER the cmos battery is removed, and then placed back (after 15 seconds) to the original position, and THEN then cmos battery is reinserted? Just asking to make sure, seems a bit weird but I'm not a technician and seems a bit weird. I'll do as you said, in a few hours
As per manufacturer instructions, remove CMOS battery first, then move the jumper cap from 1-2 to 2-3 on the CLRTC jumper (15 seconds or longer).
Move jumper cap back to 1-2 (default position) and re-insert the battery.

Reactions: CrocoRam
Jan 21, 2020
As per manufacturer instructions, remove CMOS battery first, then move the jumper cap from 1-2 to 2-3 on the CLRTC jumper (15 seconds or longer).
Move jumper cap back to 1-2 (default position) and re-insert the battery.
hey you genius out of this world, this has somehow fixed it for me. I'm honestly speechless. I thought the pc was dead for sure. no words to describe how happy i am... you're an angel <3

Glad that solve the issue.

Now, we need to find out what's causing it the motherboard to lockup.
Are the Kingston 667MHz modules obtain as 2x 8GB (16GB) kit or they came on separate as single 8GB modules?

By the way do not take any computer to the "technician" that added the extra 8GB to a pair of 8GB modules on a X79 platform.

Jan 21, 2020
Glad that solve the issue.

Now, we need to find out what's causing it the motherboard to lockup.
Are the Kingston 667MHz modules obtain as 2x 8GB (16GB) kit or they came on separate as single 8GB modules?
yes they are absolutely the same kit, pc currently works fine with one, tomorrow i'll let you know what happens once i insert the other one in the B1 slot... opening just a few programs easily brings me to near the max 8 gb capacity, i used to be able to do much more, so i'm definitely sure that i used to be able to use 16 gb of ram.

By the way do not take any computer to the "technician" that added the extra 8GB to a pair of 8GB modules on a X79 platform.
lol, gn

yes they are absolutely the same kit,
They might look the same, have the same serial and model number but that's not what I asked.
Did the two Kingston modules come together as a 16GB kit?
or
Did you get 2 similar 8GB modules, which came packaged as single modules?

RAM modules on a kit are hand picked, and tested by RAM manufacturers to work together in a dual, triple or quad channel configurations.
Single modules are tested to work by themselves. Even when you get two modules that appear to be similar with the same model number, the IC chip on the RAM stick could be even from different manufacturers.

... opening just a few programs easily brings me to near the max 8 gb capacity, i used to be able to do much more, so i'm definitely sure that i used to be able to use 16 gb of ram.
One of those memory hogs, Google Chrome, you open a couple of tabs an half of your RAM is gone.

Jan 21, 2020
They might look the same, have the same serial and model number but that's not what I asked.
Did the two Kingston modules come together as a 16GB kit?
or
Did you get 2 similar 8GB modules, which came packaged as single modules?

RAM modules on a kit are hand picked, and tested by RAM manufacturers to work together in a dual, triple or quad channel configurations.
Single modules are tested to work by themselves. Even when you get two modules that appear to be similar with the same model number, the IC chip on the RAM stick could be even from different manufacturers.

One of those memory hogs, Google Chrome, you open a couple of tabs an half of your RAM is gone.
16 gb kit 100%, not a separate purchase
inserted 2nd ram in the spot you've told me yet task manager still says 8 gb ram available

cpu z shows the full 16 "present" but not usable, and interestingly it says single channel. it should be dual channel to run both, shouldn't it? How do I turn that on?

16 gb kit 100%, not a separate purchase
inserted 2nd ram in the spot you've told me yet task manager still says 8 gb ram available
Try this to see if Windows is having issues detecting the RAM.
Press the Windows key + R, type msconfig on the space and hit the Enter key.
Select the Boot tab then click the Advanced option button
Check the Maximum memory box , if check then uncheck it.
Click OK and reboot
Check the Task Manager to see if there is any change.

Which version of Windows 10 do you have?
Which BIOS version?

cpu z shows the full 16 "present" but not usable, and interestingly it says single channel. it should be dual channel to run both, shouldn't it? How do I turn that on?
That motherboard maps the installed RAM and enables dual, triple & quad channel automatically when matching RAM modules are installed.
If it detects incompatible RAM it will default to single channel to prevent issues.

Jan 21, 2020
Try this to see if Windows is having issues detecting the RAM.
Press the Windows key + R, type msconfig on the space and hit the Enter key.
Select the Boot tab then click the Advanced option button
Check the Maximum memory box , if check then uncheck it.
Click OK and reboot
Check the Task Manager to see if there is any change.

Which version of Windows 10 do you have?
Which BIOS version?

That motherboard maps the installed RAM and enables dual, triple & quad channel automatically when matching RAM modules are installed.
If it detects incompatible RAM it will default to single channel to prevent issues.
Windows is 8.1
msconfig boot was always unchecked

american megatrends inc. 4608, 24/12/2013 2.7 version

If you switch the RAM modules position, moving the one in B1 to D1 and D1 to B1...what's the out come?
If you place both modules on C1 & D1, blue slots on the right...what's the out come?

If the RAM is installed on the right slots (blue) and it is not recognized then it might not be compatible or it could be faulty RAM or the CPU is not seating properly or the RAM slot is damaged.

Jan 21, 2020
If you switch the RAM modules position, moving the one in B1 to D1 and D1 to B1...what's the out come?
If you place both modules on C1 & D1, blue slots on the right...what's the out come?

If the RAM is installed on the right slots (blue) and it is not recognized then it might not be compatible or it could be faulty RAM or the CPU is not seating properly or the RAM slot is damaged.
I've only tried the 2nd suggestion (moving the b1 to c1) because the RAM I placed on D1 (when I put ONLY the first ram, like you told me) managed to turn my PC on, so I'm sure that ram is functional.

Now I have them on c1 & d1, they're still "recognized" by cpuz, and bios does show me the list of the rams correctly, but total memory is still 8192 MB, also shown on the bios, and when turned on, by task manager :(

I've only tried the 2nd suggestion (moving the b1 to c1) because the RAM I placed on D1 (when I put ONLY the first ram, like you told me) managed to turn my PC on, so I'm sure that ram is functional.

Now I have them on c1 & d1, they're still "recognized" by cpuz, and bios does show me the list of the rams correctly, but total memory is still 8192 MB, also shown on the bios, and when turned on, by task manager :(
So when you switch their position (B1 to D1 and D1 to B1 ) there was no changed. Correct?
If that's correct then the RAM modules are working.
Either the RAM is incompatible or the CPU is not seating properly or the CPU socket may have a bent pin.

Status
Not open for further replies.