[SOLVED] 24 GB SSD failure - what to do?

Nick_109

Commendable
Aug 8, 2016
Been using Lenovo Y510P for around 5 years. Its HDD failed after a few years and I changed it for a 1 TB ST1000LM035-1RK172.

I'm getting warnings that "Windows detected a hard disk problem", identifying not the aforementioned HDD as problematic, but rather a 24 GB SSD LITEONIT LSS-24L6G used, according to my google searches, as "cache SSD". Both are part of C:, however I don't think my HDD is hybrid?

Is the 24 GB SSD part of the HDD despite not being identified as "hybrid", and should I just change the HDD? Or is it a separate drive, and if so, what should I do?

Thanks a lot in advance. I feel like this is a bit of a stupid question, but I don't want to take a pointless measure, I'm not knowledgeable at all in drives and my searches are only confusing me further.

Solution
Since you replaced the hdd that the express cache software would have been running on to begin with. I doubt removing ssd will have any negative effects on the install. Since its all showing as unallocated its not being used anyway

So I assume the conclusion is that indeed it is unused and I can just remove it without messing up anything?

You should be fine :)

should save up and get a new ssd and use it as boot drive, just not a 24gb one, they grown a little in the last 5 years and now perfectly happy having entire operating system on them. I use 250gb ssd as boot drive and have everything else on the hdd.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Your lenova came with a 1tb hdd and a 24gb ssd that was used as a cache drive, it was common prcatice to have a really small ssd as a l ocation for files the PC used a lot, possibly boot files, that made the hdd appear faster than it really was.

So no, its not part of the hdd, as its showing on its info PDF as only having 128mb cache

now your tech spcs show an 8gb hybrid drive but you say its 24gb, and that would have been the old hdd if it did have a hybrid drive setup.

This shows where the ssd will be if you do have one - https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo...vo-Y510p-where-is-24Gb-SSD/m-p/1530634#M97171

which version of windows are you on? Since you didn't know it was there, im curious if Windows is using it now or not, Can you share a screen shot of disk management (upload to image sharing web site and share link here.

You should be able to just take it out, but need to check to see if windows decided to put its boot partition there. its likely windows can't even see it.

Reactions: Nick_109

Nick_109

Commendable
Aug 8, 2016
Thanks a lot for your reply.

1. To answer your question, I'm on Windows 8.1

2. Here is a screenshot of Disk Management:
View: https://imgur.com/a/yw6FH5i

I had never looked at this screen before. It appears that there is an Unallocated 22.37 GB disk which logically should be the (seemingly unused) failing SSD? I have to assume it has always been configured as part of c: without me knowing, even through my changing of the main c: HDD and reinstalling of Windows...

So I assume the conclusion is that indeed it is unused and I can just remove it without messing up anything?

Edit: I found this link regarding the very same piece of hardware for the very same laptop model:
View: https://www.reddit.com/r/Lenovo/comments/2dxo8q/the_24gb_cache_42mm_ssd_from_lenovo_y510p_should/

I understand their conclusion is the same, but somebody mentions "ExpressCache " makes use of it on its own. Do you know if I should somehow disable this ExpressCache thing or was it unused anyway since the switching of HDDs?

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
Since you replaced the hdd that the express cache software would have been running on to begin with. I doubt removing ssd will have any negative effects on the install. Since its all showing as unallocated its not being used anyway

You should be fine :)

should save up and get a new ssd and use it as boot drive, just not a 24gb one, they grown a little in the last 5 years and now perfectly happy having entire operating system on them. I use 250gb ssd as boot drive and have everything else on the hdd.

Reactions: Nick_109
Solution