[SOLVED] 24 pin connector question

Happyfacebro

Prominent
May 9, 2021
Can I connect 3x, 8 pin or 4x, 6pin power connectors into a 24 pin power slot on a motherboard and would it be the same as a normal 24 pin power connector?

Solution
Do you know of any adapters that would allow me to do this?

Doesn't work like that. The PCIE connector only has +12V power wires, not +5V or +3.3V. The CPU connectors only have +12V power wires. Your motherboard is expected +12V, +5V, +5V standby, +3.3V, and -12V. There's nothing to "adapt" here any more than you can find an adapter to play PS5 games in your toaster oven.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Do you know of any adapters that would allow me to do this?

Doesn't work like that. The PCIE connector only has +12V power wires, not +5V or +3.3V. The CPU connectors only have +12V power wires. Your motherboard is expected +12V, +5V, +5V standby, +3.3V, and -12V. There's nothing to "adapt" here any more than you can find an adapter to play PS5 games in your toaster oven.

Solution

Happyfacebro

Prominent
May 9, 2021
I see I need the right voltage. Do they make power supplies with 2, 24pin connectors?

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
So I'm trying to connect 2 computers to 1 power supply. I was gonna get like a 1000 watt unit. Do they make power supplies with 2, 24 pin connectors. If I have to buy a more powerful power supply I can do that. Just want to know if they make it.

Can you be more specific as to why? There are ways to do this, but it would cost you a lot more than two decent 500 W PSUs, so you'd need a very specific reason to do this, like a two-motherboard system in a case with only enough room for one PSU.

You'd need to get something like this.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Phanteks...Platinum-Power-Splitter-Full-Module/721923225

There was a standalone one that Phanteks had for PSUs that could otherwise use it, which had problems with melted cables and fires.

It's simply not as easy as just having enough cables for two systems. PCs and PSUs do have to "talk" to each other to an extent, and you need things like power-on signal and avoiding odd voltage regulation scenarios. If you're not an extremely experienced builder with money to spend and don't plan to run these units only when you're home, I'd look for another solution.

Happyfacebro

Prominent
May 9, 2021
Can you be more specific as to why? There are ways to do this, but it would cost you a lot more than two decent 500 W PSUs, so you'd need a very specific reason to do this, like a two-motherboard system in a case with only enough room for one PSU.

You'd need to get something like this.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Phanteks...Platinum-Power-Splitter-Full-Module/721923225

There was a standalone one that Phanteks had for PSUs that could otherwise use it, which had problems with melted cables and fires.

It's simply not as easy as just having enough cables for two systems. PCs and PSUs do have to "talk" to each other to an extent, and you need things like power-on signal and avoiding odd voltage regulation scenarios. If you're not an extremely experienced builder with money to spend and don't plan to run these units only when you're home, I'd look for another solution.

Well specifically I was running some testing machines to test different parts. I thought it might be easier to just buy 1 with 2, 24 pins and connect it to 2 computers but if its easier just to buy 2 power supplies I could do that.