[SOLVED] 24 pin connector questions

Jun 28, 2019
I am currently moving my prebuilt Dell into a new case ( I know I know prebuilts). The PSU is my only issue. It’s 24 pin connector only has 23 pins. I’ve read this was removed with “modern” PSU’s for something called a -5V Rail? My new MOBO 24pin connector contains all 24 pins. Will this be an issue or can I just plug it in and be fine? I hope I won’t have to buy a new PSU, 850w isn’t cheap.

Solution
I am currently moving my prebuilt Dell into a new case ( I know I know prebuilts). The PSU is my only issue. It’s 24 pin connector only has 23 pins. I’ve read this was removed with “modern” PSU’s for something called a -5V Rail? My new MOBO 24pin connector contains all 24 pins. Will this be an issue or can I just plug it in and be fine? I hope I won’t have to buy a new PSU, 850w isn’t cheap.

The connectors they buy for motherboards are premade with all pins populated. They're not going to "cut off" one of the pins just to make it clear.

The 24-pin has not had a -5V in over a decade.

The connectors they buy for motherboards are premade with all pins populated. They're not going to "cut off" one of the pins just to make it clear.

The 24-pin has not had a -5V in over a decade.

Solution
Jun 28, 2019
I'm confused, are you moving the Dell Prebuilt PSU to the new computer? If so I would strongly suggest buying a new PSU.
Yes I am moving a prebuilts psu to a new case. All the parts are staying the same though so voltage isn’t an issue. I don’t quite have the money to afford a new 850w. I just need to know if I can use this cable with it’s missing pin

One of the biggest reasons that people move OEM parts into a new case is so they can fit a better quality power supply. You are moving it to a new case and keeping the OEM power supply, which is a bit odd. What is the purpose here, and what are the exact system specs including that power supply you are moving?

Jun 28, 2019
One of the biggest reasons that people move OEM parts into a new case is so they can fit a better quality power supply. You are moving it to a new case and keeping the OEM power supply, which is a bit odd. What is the purpose here, and what are the exact system specs including that power supply you are moving?
I am moving it purely for looks. Not to increase performance or anything. To move to a new case I did have to buy a new mobo. I’m only asking about the 24pin connector because I was not sure if the -5V pin was supposed to be missing or not
My current specs rn are

I7-9700K
2080Super
32GB DDR4 HYPERx ram
850W OEM PSU

I am moving it purely for looks. Not to increase performance or anything. To move to a new case I did have to buy a new mobo. I’m only asking about the 24pin connector because I was not sure if the -5V pin was supposed to be missing or not
My current specs rn are

I7-9700K
2080Super
32GB DDR4 HYPERx ram
850W OEM PSU

Why do you need a new motherboard? Is the one in your system not standard size? Or are you talking about the header case connections that won't match to the motherboard? You will need to do a clean Windows setup on the system also if you are moving to a different motherboard. The power supply should be fine, they would not wire a 24 pin connection in some odd way, maybe if it was one of the smaller connections they used, but a 24 pin power connection would not be changed much, especially in a high power unit.

Jun 28, 2019
Why do you need a new motherboard? Is the one in your system not standard size? Or are you talking about the header case connections that won't match to the motherboard? You will need to do a clean Windows setup on the system also if you are moving to a different motherboard. The power supply should be fine, they would not wire a 24 pin connection in some odd way, maybe if it was one of the smaller connections they used, but a 24 pin power connection would not be changed much, especially in a high power unit.
Had to buy a new mobo because dell uses proprietary headers for their case.