[SOLVED] 2400Mhz vs 3200Mhz

Dec 12, 2020
Hello,

I have a brand new rig:
MSI Z490-A PRO
HyperX Fury, DDR4, 32 GB, 3200MHz, CL16 (HX432C16FB3K2/32)
Intel Core i9-10900F, 2.8GHz, 20 MB, BOX (BX8070110900F)
Gigabyte RTX 3080 GAMING OC 10G GDDR6X
SSD Samsung 980 PRO 250 GB M.2 2280 PCI-E x4 Gen4 NVMe (MZ-V8P250BW)

Unfortunately when I enable XMP to OC ram to 3200 the system won't boot and I have to remove batter to reset bios (and it is located under the graphics card, so very problematic).

So the question is: Am I missing much due to ram running at 2400 and not 3200 or the fact that it's 32 gig of it is compensating it?

Thank you.

Solution
What BIOS version are you on for your motherboard at the time of writing? You can cross reference MSIs support site for the latest version of BIOS. If you have a number of BIOS to work through, don't jump to the latest BIOS version., It's best if you gradually work your way to the latest version. Once on the latest BIOS version, you can try enabling X.M.P. If enabling after a BIOS update doesn't work, take note of the timings, voltage and frequency mentioned on the stickered side of the ram kit and input them manually in BIOS.

Lutfij

Titan
What BIOS version are you on for your motherboard at the time of writing? You can cross reference MSIs support site for the latest version of BIOS. If you have a number of BIOS to work through, don't jump to the latest BIOS version., It's best if you gradually work your way to the latest version. Once on the latest BIOS version, you can try enabling X.M.P. If enabling after a BIOS update doesn't work, take note of the timings, voltage and frequency mentioned on the stickered side of the ram kit and input them manually in BIOS.

Solution
Am I missing much due to ram running at 2400 and not 3200 or the fact that it's 32 gig of it is compensating it?
Not much. Intel cpus are less sensitive to ram performance.

Overclock manually
Set DDR voltage to 1.35V. Do not go over this value. 1.4V is not recommended for DDR4.
Set command rate to 1T (2T setting is for 4 module configuration)
Set latencies to 16-18-18-36.
And start increasing ram frequency.
Start with 2666mhz, 2866mhz,2933mhz,3000mhz,3200mhz. Reboot after each step. Test system stability.
At some point it will probably stop working. Then return to previous setting.

Dec 12, 2020
I am not trying to fix it; I'm merely trying to ascertain what difference it would make to run RAM at 3200 Mhz. If the change would be 1-5% increase in CPU/GPU performance then it's not worth the hustle. If the gain is around 20-30% - I might consider trying to fix it.

I am not trying to fix it; I'm merely trying to ascertain what difference it would make to run RAM at 3200 Mhz. If the change would be 1-5% increase in CPU/GPU performance then it's not worth the hustle. If the gain is around 20-30% - I might consider trying to fix it.
Depends on what you do with your machine. There is no straight answer...

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjbNhCHwlBo

TRENDING THREADS