Question 240Hz Refresh Rate Setting: nVidia Control Panel vs In-Game Video Menu

weeswolf

Reputable
Sep 19, 2016
Hi All,

I recently upgraded to a 240Hz Alienware AW2518H G-Sync monitor. I connected the monitor with the supplied DP cable to my GTX 1080 Ti. In the nVidia Control Panel the monitor was correctly detected and G-Sync was automatically activated as well as the refresh rate of 240Hz. All good.

My question is should I also change the in-game refresh rate setting in all my games in their video options menu? I noted that games such as BFV and SWBFII have the option to select a refresh rate of 240Hz but games such as TF2 and Apex Legends do not.

Thank you very much - I'm new to high refresh gaming.

Penn2170

Honorable
Oct 18, 2013
As boju said, select your desired refresh rate when the option is there. If there is no option, then (given Windows is set to 240Hz) the game should be 240Hz by default with windowed or fullscreen output.

The only time a game might not be at 240Hz is if you are running a monitor at a non-native resolution. In those situations, you may have to look at launch parameters/settings at a game by game basis. So you only have to worry about that if you are like a csgo player that likes 4:3 stretched, etc..