Question 25% rule for the SSD? Explain.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ditrate

Great
Sep 4, 2022
If I filled more than 75% of the SSD free space, will speed be affected or files integrity? Or it's a myth?

Both tests were run with 1% CPU activity
scores vary based on the day, it shows as fine now
https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/55219378
I see the same thing.

I'm just guessing that one of windows many small background task tried to access the disk at the same time UBM was testing it.

Best you can do is try to make the machine as quiet as possible before running UBM.

Little stuff may not show in the cpu activity.

LlKxiKp.png

OP disabled, app shows which partition will be used for OP (that G:N...), partition color is matching legend named OP setting partition
here you can see partition in device manager
5OCrDcT.png

partition G is what will be used for OP

now setting up OP
dl2FbZg.png

partition G is selected, and i can set OP withing partition G available space range

OP was set
ys7cOZ7.png

partition G shrunk by that amount, still shows as selectable for OP (in case ill need to increase OP size)
device manager shows some weird unallocated space
2mQwmNV.png

where did my OP partition go? can you find it?

Reactions: alceryes
Ahhh, it's in the software itself. Thanks! That is weird. Maybe some older drives targeted the unallocated space for wear-leveling...? Funny how I didn't find verbiage in the whitepaper.

This isn't actually creating a wear-leveling partition though. This is Samsung suggesting a reduction in size of a candidate partition, probably to go in line with the 'always keep 10% free' adage. This is probably Samsung's knee-jerk reaction to making sure people don't fill up the drive over 90% full - can't fill up unallocated space. ;)

Samsung should definitely word it better as I'm absolutely sure, with any decent quality SSD drive of the last few generations, that wear-leveling does NOT require unallocated space OR a separate wear-leveling partition. I can't speak for super-cheap knock-off brands of course.

USAFRet

Titan
That unallocated space IS the OP space.

Unlike an HDD, 'partitions' on an SSD are merely logical.
The data can reside anywhere.

That OP space, (here, 18.3GB) is simply space that is not allocated to some other partition.
Allowing you to freely fill all the other ones up to 100%, and not worry about free space on the drive.

Or, you can just keep a mental map in your head.
'Don't fill a 500GB drive past 400GB'

That unallocated space IS the OP space.

Unlike an HDD, 'partitions' on an SSD are merely logical.
The data can reside anywhere.

That OP space, (here, 18.3GB) is simply space that is not allocated to some other partition.
Allowing you to freely fill all the other ones up to 100%, and not worry about free space on the drive.

Or, you can just keep a mental map in your head.
'Don't fill a 500GB drive past 400GB'
Exactly, that's just for people that forget to leave enough space but that may be "selfish" to Windows that still need some free space for functionality.

Status
Not open for further replies.