News 25 Years Later: The Original Quake Gets a Remaster for PC and Consoles

plateLunch

Honorable
Mar 31, 2017
"All players that already own the game are in for the free upgrade "
Hmm. Did I own the game? So turned around and looked on my bookshelf and wow. There it was. A real black Quake box, next to a Myst and Microsoft Arcade box. It says "Full Registered Version" on the box so I guess I'm good.

D

Deleted member 14196

I owned the game on cd many years ago but I can’t find that

D

Deleted member 14196

I think I’m gonna have to buy it from steam

Heat_Fan89

Reputable
Jul 13, 2020
I was HUGE into Doom back in the early 90's and then Quake was announced. So much HYPE surrounded that game, it delivered in spades and then some. John Carmack was an software engineering genius. The 3D models, the real time lighting were his creation. There was absolutely nothing like it back then. It was a trend setter.

I remember buying my 1st 3D GPU (Rendition), then I come to find out ti did not support or take advantage of OpenGL so I went and bought a 3Dfx card. Good times.

I found the game even in Nightmare mode to be rather easy. I did love the medieval look to the game which is why i'm so fond of Demon Souls.

salgado18

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2007
Being honest, I think if they tried to upgrade the engine and graphics of the game, the "Quake" feel would be lost very quickly. There's some charm to the low-poly brown visuals and the sounds and the levels that I really doubt could be translated to modern generation. I mean, look at Doom 1994 to Doom 2016: the new game is awesome, but it's a different experience.

And hey, all they did was to update some things to a game already being sold, so it's more of a patch with new content, right?

Reactions: Krotow