[SOLVED] $2500 Gaming PC help

shicks1234

Distinguished
May 12, 2013
Looking for a bit of a recommendation on a prebuilt approach that fits in this budget + tax.

Cyber, Destiny 2, WOW, COD, etc are the types of games I usually play. Looking for 1440 support, high end if possible.. Something that will be solid for at least the next 2-3 years. Could go a little higher if necessary.

Would really appreciate some guidance on this.

Cheers.

shicks1234

Distinguished
May 12, 2013
It's funny more and more people are mentioning that to me. I guess I always assume spending more = better more longevity. My last 3 custom builds I priced out around $2.2k to $2.5k and all have lasted easily 3 years pretty much playing games at highest settings. This one is still solid coming in around the three year mark but I want to give to my kids. I mean the money isn't really the concern as I have it, but if you have any reco's even below that budget I would be interested.

LeiHeJun

Upstanding
Dec 13, 2020
@shicks1234

That's a lot of money.
So best CPU for gaming is 5800X. I don't care about intel. Don't spend too much on CPU because DDR5 comes early 2022.
get a great PSU.

RTX 3080 is enough for that 1440 support.
get 2 SSD, one for windows and other for games.
go water cooling, because it's quiet.

Obiwancanabi

Proper
Dec 24, 2020
@shicks1234

That's a lot of money.
So best CPU for gaming is 5800X. I don't care about intel. Don't spend too much on CPU because DDR5 comes early 2022.
get a great PSU.

RTX 3080 is enough for that 1440 support.
get 2 SSD, one for windows and other for games.
go water cooling, because it's quiet.

I say what he said, minus the watercooling, i always seen it as more hassle than its worth, changing the water, and generally having water that close to all that high priced equipment, go for a good air cooler, you can build a nice system for $1200 minus the GPU for now going that route, if you have cash to blow you can get a 3070 if you wanna pay 3080 money and a bit more, or you can get a 2080 super and wait, sell it when the stocks are at a reasonable price, but hey if you wanna spend 2500 you could get a 5800x and RTX 3070 now and be happy for a long time, or wait 3 months and get the 3080 for little more and still have been very happy with the 2080 super for 3 months, either way as long as it works, id be happy :D

Reactions: Why_Me

LeiHeJun

Upstanding
Dec 13, 2020
I say what he said, minus the watercooling, i always seen it as more hassle than its worth, changing the water, and generally having water that close to all that high priced equipment, go for a good air cooler, you can build a nice system for $1200 minus the GPU for now going that route, if you have cash to blow you can get a 3070 if you wanna pay 3080 money and a bit more, or you can get a 2080 super and wait, sell it when the stocks are at a reasonable price, but hey if you wanna spend 2500 you could get a 5800x and RTX 3070 now and be happy for a long time, or wait 3 months and get the 3080 for little more and still have been very happy with the 2080 super for 3 months, either way as long as it works, id be happy :D

I won't change my water cooling with anything, here's how it looks like:
https://ibb.co/dD1xtpH

I had COVID lockdown time to design this.
2080 super is similar to 3060Ti, but it makes more heat/noise. since DDR5 is coming early 2022, I'm inclined to spend more on gpu than cpu. that's why I picked overkill 3080.

I use 20L of water. a commercial loop uses half a liter (a can of beer). That means my water can take in 40 times more heat for the same amount of rise in temp. That result means I could throw away my fans and radiators.
It's not because I didn't want to buy fans that I made it that way (I had 3 Phanteks); instead I wanted to make things as silent as possible.
Think about washing machine drying your cloth. That's more water and electricity together than in a pc.

when I was making mine, I had in mind that if 40 PCs are in a room all working, I don't want to hear any sound from them.
my watercooling is taking advantage of internal heat capacity of water, increase volume -> decrease Δθ

Obiwancanabi

Proper
Dec 24, 2020

Ah man thats awesome, im not sure it will fit most peoples style of build but yeah im sure it does the job, passive cooling relying on the thermal capacity of the water, i do appreciate the DIY :D see if you can get an old milk pale of a decent size, something metal will help get rid of the heat a lil better, those bottles are pretty thick plastic lmao

Reactions: LeiHeJun

LeiHeJun

Upstanding
Dec 13, 2020
@Obiwancanabi
the bottle is not sealed, so water can evaporate. I lose 1cm every month. less in winter of course.

initially there was a copper coil on the way (I wasted 4 orders before I made the right one), that was when the bottle (tank) was sealed to avoid dust from getting in. But then I kept the tank open because it was sweating inside.
so heat goes away by evaporation, you may get a bug floating and swimming which hopefully doesn't plunge down to sneak into the pump. But you can cover the tank with a fabric mesh to keep intruders outside.

other reason : I found radiators quite heavy for flights, multiple fans. You can always leave the tank behind, get on a plane and buy another bottle where you land.

milk pale is interesting, perhaps if I face high temps. I try to keep my life fit inside a luggage.

Obiwancanabi

Proper
Dec 24, 2020
some 200 micron mesh over the intake pipe would do ya nice, shouldnt stop any flow of water but it will stop any muck, anything down to about 80 microns shouldnt restrict the flow at all