2500k - Z77 Freezing

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

jrwizbang

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
I recently put together a new system after selling my old AMD system. In it is an ASRock Z77 Pro3 mother board, and Intel i5-2500k, 750w xfx xxx full modular PSU, 8gb corsair vengeance ram 2x2 1600 mhz, 500gb western digital caviar blue drive, and a GTX 570. At first I was a getting some blue screens, and was able to solve the issue by tweaking some settings in BIOS and nVidia control panel, power settings, etc. It seemed that I had it all solved and squared away, but now I am getting randomly occuring freeze ups. Just completely locks up the system, cant do anything, wont reboot itself, frozen screen, no looping sound like a blue screen. Just completely freezes. I was wondering if anyone has any insight in to what this may be, and if someone could walk me through fixing it if they do happen to know what is causing it. At first it seemed to happen jsut during games, but I realized that it happens pretty randomly, as it just happened recently during web browsing. Please help. Is it a ram issue? Or maybe it is a compatibility issue with the 2500k and mother board (z77) or mother board and ram/video card or a combination of anything. I have tried a bunch of things and nothing seems to work. Please help!

Filibustered

Honorable
Feb 7, 2013
Feb 13 and still no lock up....just in case anyone can use this in the future. I know I looked endlessly for a solution to this.
But though 4 days is pretty good without a lockup, we'll see if it continues. It could be just luck.

Filibustered

Honorable
Feb 7, 2013
A full 10 more days without the infamous lock-up. In all, 17 days without since I changed the PCH and PLL voltages. It might not be cured, but if I can go this long, things are at least moving in the right direction.
If you have a Asrock Z77 and are experiencing random lock-ups or freezes with a sound loop, try bumping up a couple of the CPU voltages in BIOS and perhaps this will solve (or at least help) your problem as well.