[SOLVED] 250gb SSD stuck in a state where it reports as 1tb and I cant format it, windows 10

M4RS

Prominent
Feb 5, 2021
The SATA Gigabyte SSD used to be part of a raid0 array that amounted to 1tb in my old pc. I put it in my new my new pc and I cannot access it in Windows 10 file explorer. Instead of reporting as 250gb it's stuck at 1tb and when I try to format it I obviously can't set the size to the correct one (only option is 1tb). What do you think is the easiest way to fix this? Thanks in advance and I'm sorry if this is a stupid question.

EDIT: heres how I fixed it
open diskpart
-list volume
-select broken one
-clean
open disk management
initialize
create a new volume on it
voila

Last edited:
Reactions: Dark Lord of Tech
Solution
The SATA Gigabyte SSD used to be part of a raid0 array that amounted to 1tb in my old pc. I put it in my new my new pc and I cannot access it in Windows 10 file explorer. Instead of reporting as 250gb it's stuck at 1tb and when I try to format it I obviously can't set the size to the correct one (only option is 1tb). What do you think is the easiest way to fix this? Thanks in advance and I'm sorry if this is a stupid question.
In this order:

Secure Erase
Initialize
new Simple Volume
Format and give it a drive letter.

Lutfij

Titan
If your SSD refuses to format, then the controller on it has probably died/is on it's way out. You can try and use DiskPart to clean and format the drive but I have a feeling that it will end with a success on the process but your capacity won't change. I had a similar thing happen on a client's TeamGroup GX2 256GB SSD. Windows installer would format it but not allow me to install the OS after the SSD went rogue. It was under warranty so I had it replaced.

You should avail your warranty on the SSD if it's under warranty.

M4RS

Prominent
Feb 5, 2021
If your SSD refuses to format, then the controller on it has probably died/is on it's way out. You can try and use DiskPart to clean and format the drive but I have a feeling that it will end with a success on the process but your capacity won't change. I had a similar thing happen on a client's TeamGroup GX2 256GB SSD. Windows installer would format it but not allow me to install the OS after the SSD went rogue. It was under warranty so I had it replaced.

You should avail your warranty on the SSD if it's under warranty.
funny in diskpart when i list disk it looks completely normal
scanned partitions and found:
Volume 2 F RAW Partition 952 GB Healthy
the one in question.
tried delete partition but ran into an error

Last edited:

USAFRet

Titan
In this order:

Secure Erase
Initialize
new Simple Volume
Format and give it a drive letter.

Solution

Latest posts