Question 256GB DDR5 ?

braxus

Honorable
Jan 1, 2018
It's been close to a year since their December 2023 announcement, but any idea when we'll see 64GB DDR5 sticks with 4 of them making 256GB memory? I know of the server stuff, but I'm talking for home PCs. I just got a new X870E board which supports 256GB, but the memory is nowhere to be seen. I do 8k video editing if you are wondering.

Endre

Honorable
It's been close to a year since their December 2023 announcement, but any idea when we'll see 64GB DDR5 sticks with 4 of them making 256GB memory? I know of the server stuff, but I'm talking for home PCs. I just got a new X870E board which supports 256GB, but the memory is nowhere to be seen. I do 8k video editing if you are wondering.
Hello!

DDR5 does support 4 DIMM configurations, however it does that at lower speeds.
AMD guarantees only 3600MT/s in 4 DIMM configurations.

Even when using dual-rank 2x32GB sticks, it's challenging for the IMC to run at those EXPO advertised speeds!

For instance, I am using a Kingston Fury Beast KF564C32BBEK2-64 (2x32GB DDR5, QVL) paired with an ASRock X670E Taichi motherboard.
The memory kit has 2 EXPO profiles:
EXPO-6400 CL32-38-38 &
EXPO-6000 CL30-36-36.
But, the IMC of my Ryzen 9 9950X can't handle those speeds reliably (I get errors in MemTest86).
So, I am using the EXPO-6000 profile with the DRAM lowered at 5800 (no errors in any memory testing program).

CONCLUSION:
For stability reasons, please stick with 2 DIMM configurations.

I hope this helps...

Last edited:

braxus

Honorable
Jan 1, 2018
I don't mind underclocking the ram if I have to. But be known I have been running 4 sticks of 32gb sticks for 2 years now with little issues, and I wasnt underclocking those either. I need 256gb for 8k video editing, which eats up memory fast.

Endre

Honorable
If your board supports ECC, you should be able to get 64GB sticks today. If not, you'll probably just have to wait.
Yes.
The R9 9950X CPU supports ECC RAM.
I have tested that feature myself.
However, only a few boards from ASRock and Asus support ECC.
(The ASRock X670E Taichi does support ECC).
I don't know what motherboard the OP uses.

braxus

Honorable
Jan 1, 2018
So I can use server memory I take it then? Problem with server memory versus consumer is the higher price of it. Still might be worth to wait for the mainstreet stuff to come out.

Endre

Honorable
I don't mind underclocking the ram if I have to. But be known I have been running 4 sticks of 32gb sticks for 2 years now with little issues, and I wasnt underclocking those either. I need 256gb for 8k video editing, which eats up memory fast.
That's interesting.
It's all about the silicone lottery of the CPU.
What motherboard are you using?

braxus

Honorable
Jan 1, 2018
That's interesting.
It's all about the silicone lottery of the CPU.
What motherboard are you using?
I was previously using a Gigabyte X670 Elite AX board with all 4 slots used. I don't see why they'd put 4 slots in if it isn't stable running 4. My new board is the Gigabyte X870E Aorus Pro. I'm getting it this week.

Endre

Honorable
So I can use server memory I take it then? Problem with server memory versus consumer is the higher price of it. Still might be worth to wait for the mainstreet stuff to come out.
It depends on what motherboard you're using.
My ASRock X670E Taichi supports ECC RAM.

However, I had weird issues with the ECC RAM kit that I have ordered.
It was a 2x32GB DDR5-5600 CL40-40-40 1.1V UDIMM from NEMIX RAM.
That kit would not post except if puting both DIMMs in channel B (B1+B2).
Any other configuration was leading to q-code error "C5".
Even if trying to use a single DIMM in any of the 4 slots was leading to error "C5".

So, please be careful with non-QVL RAM!

I have RMA'd that ECC RAM kit!