[SOLVED] 256GB RAM on i9 7900X CPU?

ntsarb

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2013
Hello,

In Intel's CPU specs page, it appears that the i9 7900X CPU supports up to 128GB RAM. Has anyone tested 8x32GB DIMMs with this CPU, to check whether it can be supported?

I ask this because, sometimes, maximum RAM is quoted based on the maximum available DIMM size at the time the specs were written and, long time ago, I upgraded my laptop to double the amount of RAM indicated in Intel's specs.

Currently, I'm looking to upgrade to 256GB RAM on an Asus WS X299 Sage motherboard, using 8x32GB DIMMs. I have tested with great success 4x32GB DIMMs at 3200MHz for a total of 128GB, the motherboard supports 256GB RAM with 4 spare DIMM slots to be filled, my workflow would benefit from 256GB RAM, but it doesn't make sense purchasing the (quite expensive) kit unless the CPU actually supports it.

Thank you

Last edited:
Solution
On the specs sheet for your motherboard it says 256gb is supported with X series processors, 6 cores and above. You qualify there.
On the ram QVL list, I see no tested configurations using 32gb sticks.
But a QVL list is only the ram that was tested at launch, and it may not really ever get updated.
If you have a brand in mind, go to the ram selection site, enter your particulars, and see if there is a 256gb kit that is supported.
It would appear that corsair has some...
On the specs sheet for your motherboard it says 256gb is supported with X series processors, 6 cores and above. You qualify there.
On the ram QVL list, I see no tested configurations using 32gb sticks.
But a QVL list is only the ram that was tested at launch, and it may not really ever get updated.
If you have a brand in mind, go to the ram selection site, enter your particulars, and see if there is a 256gb kit that is supported.
It would appear that corsair has some:
https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Memory/c/Cor_Products_Memory?q=:featured:memoryType:DDR4:memoryCapacity:256GB:memoryCompatibility:Intel+X299&text=&pageSize=12#rotatingText
But, I would contact Corsair customer support to verify.
That way you are covered if an issue should arise.
Other vendors may work as well.

Look for a 256gb full replacement kit.
Just adding ram may not work.
Ram is sold in kits for a reason.
A motherboard must manage all the ram using the same specs of voltage, cas and speed.
The internal workings are designed for the capacity of the kit.
Ram from the same vendor and part number can be made up of differing manufacturing components over time.
Some motherboards, can be very sensitive to this.
This is more difficult when more sticks are involved.

Reactions: ntsarb
Solution