256mb SDRAM

G

Hello, I am upgrading my system recently. RAM is one of the items I have in mind. When I was shopping for RAM on the web, I found 2 types of 256Mb PC133 RAMs, one says 32x64 and the other says 32x4. Is there any difference among them? And there was a side notes says refer to motherboard manual. This worries me because my motherboard manual doesn't say much other than it takes PC133 256mb RAM. Please help me to pick the right one, since I live in Canada and it's would be a hassel if I ordered a wrong parts. Thanks.

Dan

McEwin

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Do not worry Dan, I think the problem here is just a typo.

the 32x64 you refer to is the memory module configuration and refers to physical chips and there sizes on the DIMM itself. 32x64 is a standard format for 256MB. 16x64 for 128MB, 8x64 for 64MB and 4x64 for 16MB.

I think all the person has done is miss the 6 off in 32x?4 ??

There may be a new configuration but its probably a typo. If your worried go for the 32x64. Anyhow, DIMMs are ment to be flexible so both should work.

The consult your manual is just to make sure your buying the correct type (as in SIMM or 168pin etc.) probably.

regards
McEwin

G

Thanks for the info. Another thing I found out yesterday that there are two type so PC133 RAMs, standard density(more expensive) and a high density(less expensive) types. My motherboard takes up to 768Mb of RAM, so sounds like I have to use the standard density ones. I am just wondering what would happen if I put in the high density ones instead? Is it going to damage the RAM or the motherboard or both? Thanks.
Regards,
Dan

McEwin

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Sorry, I don't know about High and standard density modules. What is the make/model of your motherboard?

I doubt the different densities will not make much of a difference, as long as the spec is the same. However CHECK with someone else to confirm...[prompts someone else to add to the thread :p]

McEwin

G

The make of my motherboard is BCM, the model is GT693CA uses VIA 693A chipset.
I was reading something posted on eBay and they were saying 32x4 is a SDRAM config for non-intel chipset motherboard use.

Dan