News Asus quotes ridiculous $2,750 fee to replace chipped GPU power connector— Canadian customer shares docs to back up claims of egregious RTX 4090 16-...

Nov 24, 2023
This is the tip of the iceberg.

The four (Asus, Gigabyte, MSI, and AsRock) all have their fair share of RMA hell stories.

I can kind of understand them doing this, and why EVGA left. GPU margins are paper thin, like less than 3%, and every RMA they have to honor is a huge dent in profits.
That makes alot of sense. I sense this will happen everywhere with everything, given time.

NinjaChemist

Reputable
May 24, 2020
I've had a similar experience repairing my Asus ROG Phone 5. No repair shop would touch it. My only option was to ship to Asus for repair and paid nearly half the original price of the phone for a screen replacement.

With these 4090s for the prices nvidia should have addressed issues. Why not just stick to the standard 8 pin connectors to begin with?
....that is unrelated to topic.

doesnt matter what connector was used they can both chip (as they are merely plastic)
and paid nearly half the original price of the phone for a screen replacement.
i mean 1st party phone screen are always costly as they have the part cost (usually 1/4 or 1/3rd cost of new phone) and then labor costs.
<Mod Edit> Bad but standard.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Sluggotg

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
I've had a similar experience repairing my Asus ROG Phone 5. No repair shop would touch it. My only option was to ship to Asus for repair and paid nearly half the original price of the phone for a screen replacement.
You got lucky. My old Samsung phone, S5230 Star (1st touchscreen phone i had) screen replacement would've cost me more than entire S5230 Star itself. So, i ditched the screen replacement and went with new, different brand phone instead.

Reactions: adamboy64
Apr 1, 2020
I had this kind of problem with ASUS way back with my Crosshair III Formula motherboard, it wouldn't work unless your physically bent the board. Two RMAs, including an elevated RMA, and they said it was fine.

MSI may be missing some intelligence but ASUS is missing more.

Last edited:
Reactions: PEnns

GenericUser

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2010
I had this kind of problem with ASUS way back with my Crosshair III Formula motherboard, it wouldn't work unless your physically bent the board.

Did you stumble into discovering that on accident? How much and where did it need to bend? I'd be too paranoid to ever consider trying something like that out of fear of causing (more) damage.

Mar 1, 2024
You got lucky. My old Samsung phone, S5230 Star (1st touchscreen phone i had) screen replacement would've cost me more than entire S5230 Star itself. So, i ditched the screen replacement and went with new, different brand phone instead.
Same, but with their galaxy phones and smart TVs. To fix a smart TV, the cost was 95% of what i paid for the TV lol. Totally insane. There are other things inside that TV too, its not just a screen. Same for the phones. It's even worse when it comes to motherboard replacements from Asus. I can tell you some horror stories about that. I avoid Asus and Samsung like the plague, and i have been much happier.

P.s. I lost many things from Asus, its not just motherboards for the record. Wifi cards, wifi adapters, usb sound cards, and 1 monitor.

May 11, 2024
Did you stumble into discovering that on accident? How much and where did it need to bend? I'd be too paranoid to ever consider trying something like that out of fear of causing (more) damage.
I got charged for a burnt socket on a ROG motherboard. Why would ASUS make a quality product when they don't plan to stand behind it. So it's goodbye to this once admired brand.

Reactions: PEnns and Kridian
May 11, 2024
So I know all circumstances are different and the story isn't always there but this is my story with Asus. I broke the little joystick on the back of my PG 348 q monitor a few years back.
I spoke with somebody and told them I just wanted it fixed they quoted me $1350, you can buy a new one back then for that. I told them I don't care they made an RMA I shipped it to them at my cost and then a week and a half later they shipped it back no charge at their cost. So like I said every situation is different and I don't know why they say it so much money to fix the video card but they didn't charge me.

Reactions: Sluggotg
....that is unrelated to topic.

doesnt matter what connector was used they can both chip (as they are merely plastic)

i mean 1st party phone screen are always costly as they have the part cost (usually 1/4 or 1/3rd cost of new phone) and then labor costs.
shitty but standard.

Point taken but they’ve had other issues with the connectors.

I will say that asus should not treat customers the way they seem to be. What is sad Asus is such a respected brand.

coromonadalix

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2006
for me all this sh@#@@ means : how high you pay your stuff, it's simply worth nothing ... the companies makes profit on us, and when problems happens you're left with theses outrageously ridiculous solutions ...

May 11, 2024
That makes alot of sense. I sense this will happen everywhere with everything, given time.
You are exactly right. Asus is not some startup can do attitude. That is long gone. Accountants start taking center stage and finding ways of extracting dollars out of you. Sign of the times. Whole different industry but returns for example. Something like 30% of all items are returned. Most retailers are gearing up to change how returns are processed with the big ones using personal data to determine things.

mhmarefat

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2013
Asus quotes ridiculous $2,750 fee to replace chipped GPU power connector— docs back up claims of egregious repair pricing for $2,000 RTX 4090 GPU
Wait, how is it "ridiculous" when ASUS demands $2K but it's all fine when Nvidia prices $2000 on a $600 GPU? How come it is not "ridiculous" when Nvidia does it (or other moron American tech titans)?!

Notton

Prominent
Dec 29, 2023
Wait, how is it "ridiculous" when ASUS demands $2K but it's all fine when Nvidia prices $2000 on a $600 GPU? How come it is not "ridiculous" when Nvidia does it (or other moron American tech titans)?!
No one ever said that, ever, except Nvidia.

Everyone I talked to is annoyed at the price gouging Nvidia (and AMD) has been doing.
You can tell that people are not excited for GPU launches anymore. Just take a look at the amount of views GPU reviews have been getting recently, compared to a few years ago. (example: look at youtube view counts)

Reactions: eX_Arkangel
Feb 2, 2024
It's Capitalism and a sign of the times, these companies are full of greedy people wanting their cut, they are arrogant and full of cognitive bias. Buying expensive stuff is not worth it when it all comes with a joke of a 2 to 3 year warranty and sold by people who subscribe to the philosophy "we didn't get rich by honoring warranties". No such thing as a scrupulous brand, they all lie and cheat and given the chance will rip you off. So much unethical behavior.
Better off buying low to mid range stuff. I wouldn't be foolish enough to pay the Nvidia triple layer scalping tax on these things when i can just get a console for a fraction of the price while retaining 90% plus of the visuals. Why do people buy these??? To play spiderman and deadspace??? Crazy.
Almost 70% of my entire PC build was from parts significantly marked down. Go mid range, buy them at the right times, buy them when marked down, if it packs up just buy another and accept it.

Reactions: adamboy64 and PEnns

tupoun

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2012
This is the tip of the iceberg.

The four (Asus, Gigabyte, MSI, and AsRock) all have their fair share of RMA hell stories.

I can kind of understand them doing this, and why EVGA left. GPU margins are paper thin, like less than 3%, and every RMA they have to honor is a huge dent in profits.
I like it here in Europe. I don't deal directly with Asus or other brands. I bought it by this seller, I bring it back to the seller, he takes it, checks it - gives mi protocol, he handles the Asus side.

In the end I get to choose - money back, change of product - new one or the repaired old one. By the law 2-years warranty at everything. They have 30 days to repair it, if they don't - I'm automatically entitled to get my money back (few times I used this option), I don't care if it was returned to the shop the 31st day - I was here yesterday, keep it, I want my money back (if I find the product to be generally bad). It's upon the retailer to push Asus (or themselves) to return it to me quickly. They also have 2 max consecutive chances to repair the faulty product, by the third failure I'm automatically entitled to my money back - the law. Big retailers don't like customers comments about bad return/repair policies experiences.

I generally buy online, but the bigger retailers have physical places/offices where you can return it, so they check the goods I'm giving to them for the repair, so some claims - you did it - nope, your protocol, you checked it whilst taking it in - your problem.

I bought a premium gaming laptop (G73JH-A1) that was not working out of the box from Asus in 2010.

Unfortunately, I could not test it before the 30 days return policy from the store and I was trapped with the damn thing.

The GPU was DOA and I sent the unit for RMA 3 times. I told them to swap the GPU but since it was the priciest part, they refused to do so until the third time.

I never bought any other computer parts from Asus beside some peripherals. They can rot in hell.

Since then, I only buy MSI motherboards because they are reliable. If you don't have any problems during the first year, then the board will last you further than your upgrade cycle.

Reactions: Heiro78