News Asus quotes ridiculous $2,750 fee to replace chipped GPU power connector— Canadian customer shares docs to back up claims of egregious RTX 4090 16-...

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Geef

Distinguished
I guess that is one of the few times where paying the extra money for the replacement plan is a good idea. Although the plan price is probably big for such a high cost card, it appears to be worth not having a hassle.

PEnns

Reputable
Apr 25, 2020
I like it here in Europe. I don't deal directly with Asus or other brands. I bought it by this seller, I bring it back to the seller, he takes it, checks it - gives mi protocol, he handles the Asus side.

In the end I get to choose - money back, change of product - new one or the repaired old one. By the law 2-years warranty at everything. They have 30 days to repair it, if they don't - I'm automatically entitled to get my money back (few times I used this option), I don't care if it was returned to the shop the 31st day - I was here yesterday, keep it, I want my money back (if I find the product to be generally bad). It's upon the retailer to push Asus (or themselves) to return it to me quickly. They also have 2 max consecutive chances to repair the faulty product, by the third failure I'm automatically entitled to my money back - the law. Big retailers don't like customers comments about bad return/repair policies experiences.

I generally buy online, but the bigger retailers have physical places/offices where you can return it, so they check the goods I'm giving to them for the repair, so some claims - you did it - nope, your protocol, you checked it whilst taking it in - your problem.

That's Europe where consumer protection is real, not just lip service, like in the US.

Here, the government agencies that are supposed to protect consumers (be it food, aviation, medicine, cars, electronics or whatever) are literally in bed with Big Business.

And many of the top employees of those government agencies go straight to work for those same companies they allegedly "controlled"...and often looked the other way.

PEnns

Reputable
Apr 25, 2020
I bought a premium gaming laptop (G73JH-A1) that was not working out of the box from Asus in 2010.

Unfortunately, I could not test it before the 30 days return policy from the store and I was trapped with the damn thing.

The GPU was DOA and I sent the unit for RMA 3 times. I told them to swap the GPU but since it was the priciest part, they refused to do so until the third time.

I never bought any other computer parts from Asus beside some peripherals. They can rot in hell.

Since then, I only buy MSI motherboards because they are reliable. If you don't have any problems during the first year, then the board will last you further than your upgrade cycle.
I always skeptical of Asus high prices and alleged "better quality".

And I agree about MSI, never had a problem with them.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
So, here's my question - and, maybe I read the article a little too hastily, but, how on earth is this not covered by warranty?

How did they determine that the damage was the user's fault, and not just a poorly made plastic connector?

Jan 14, 2024
A Canadian customer highlights his experience with Asus service to get the RTX 4090's 12VHPWR connector replaced, only to receive a quote for CAD 3,758 quote for a graphics card originally purchased for CAD 2,799.

Asus quotes ridiculous $2,750 fee to replace chipped GPU power connector— Canadian customer shares docs to back up claims of egregious RTX 4090 16-... : Read more

I see more and more reasons every day to be thankful I stuck with AM4 and GTX16xx / RTX3xxx-series.

Reactions: Heiro78
Jan 14, 2024
So, here's my question - and, maybe I read the article a little too hastily, but, how on earth is this not covered by warranty?

How did they determine that the damage was the user's fault, and not just a poorly made plastic connector?

If it's anything like the AM5 / EXPO mobo fiasco, Asus, at least, has tried to trick users into giving up their warranty to use a BIOS update intended to fix the problems. GamersNexus called them out on it in a YouTube video.

Always bought Asus/EVGA but over couple of years have now gone MSI, left Asus due to quality control/support and EVGA for no longer doing NV cards.

Agreed. If and when you get a live person, they're reading from a script and have no clue about anything you're talking about. I have an Asus Tuf B550-Plus replacement under RMA for random audio loss, but after further occurrences of the problem, I wonder sometimes if there may have been nothing wrong with the original board, but rather Win10 and / or Realtek's drivers being stupid.

But I honestly think you pays your money and you takes your chances these days. None of these manufacturers really seem to want to stand behind their product. Because it really seems as though these manufacturers hire anyone with a pulse for tech support and just give them a script to read.

It's the equivalent of AutoZone hiring teenyboppers who don't know an alternator from a spark plug that only know how to work a computer, and if the information in the computer is wrong, you get the wrong part, and the idiot argues with you like the computer can never be wrong. It's like the Beavis and Butt-Head "Tech Support" episode.

It honestly seems that the only reason my board was finally RMA'd (second shot, first time was memory instability issues that they couldn't duplicate), was the person I was talking to just didn't really seem to be knowledgeable beyond the script they were reading.

Last edited:
Reactions: Heiro78
Nov 20, 2023
So I know all circumstances are different and the story isn't always there but this is my story with Asus. I broke the little joystick on the back of my PG 348 q monitor a few years back.
I spoke with somebody and told them I just wanted it fixed they quoted me $1350, you can buy a new one back then for that. I told them I don't care they made an RMA I shipped it to them at my cost and then a week and a half later they shipped it back no charge at their cost. So like I said every situation is different and I don't know why they say it so much money to fix the video card but they didn't charge me.
Sorry, just to clarify. They quoted you $1350, they did the repair but didn't bill you the $1350?

danny009

Honorable
Apr 11, 2019
Just get 5090 next year, I heard it's magic solves problems like meteor showers and fixes global warming so you don't have to pretend your green/eco user.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Its not even hard to find examples, this popped up in suggested videos tonight

I must be lucky, and have bought hardware that doesn't break. I used Asus motherboards in most of my PC until now and never had any problems with them. Its only current PC that broke that pattern - I didn't buy Asus. If you don't need to RMA, it doesn't matter how bad their service is.

Notton

Prominent
Dec 29, 2023
Gigabyte GPUs had the infamous "red arrow" RMA denied due to cracked PCB.
They designed their PCB poorly, and have only recently changed to a better design with the RTX 4000 super series.

MSI mobos are okay. Their GPUs are usually okay, but does no one remember their 5700XT? It had a heatsink design flaw that caused overheating.

MSI laptops, on the other hand, are considered trash. They have a very common hinge failure, despite being in the business for years at this point.
They are worse than Razer when it comes to designing a laptop that doesn't break.

Asus laptops tend to have fewer design flaws. But if you get a lemon, it becomes RMA hell.