2666 mhz laptop ram running at 2400mhz

jcdumaguing226

Reputable
Jul 12, 2018
Been using this ASUS TUF GAMING FX505DY for the past 1 and a half year now. It originally came with 4GB 2666MHz DDR4 RAM and upgraded it to 8GB by adding another4GB RAM of the same frequency and timings. December of last year I decided to add more memory seeing that my workload required more and settled on buying a single stick of 8GB 2666 MHz RAM till I can afford to add another 8GB module making my configuration 12GB 2666 MHz.

However recently I noticed a slight slowdown to my system after I installed the AMD Ryzen Chipset Drivers. Upon digging into settings and all, I noticed that my laptop is only running at 2400 MHz only. Removed one of the sticks and it still showed 2400 MHz. Attempted to remove the Ryzen Chipset Drivers but it still stayed at 2400 MHz. Attempted a BIOS downgrade and upgrade but nothing. Is there any way to fix this? Will a full reinstall of Windows help?

Lutfij

Titan
First things first, please don't downgrade the BIOS regardless of what happens, to prevent you from bricking the board and leaving you with an expensive paperweight. If you must, with BIOS updates, move forward, not backwards.

On the second note, which BIOS version are you currently on? Where did you source the chipset drivers from? I'd like to see the sticks of ram on your laptop, links would help or images of said sticks. Then comes the part about the rams you were on, you shouldn't mix and match rams, regardless of them having one or more parameters that meet eachother.

If you're going to look at ram upgrades, look at them as though you're buying a pair of shoes. If you loose one shoe out of that pair, can you buy just one shoe at the store? Similarly, you're advised to buy a dual channel ram kit(if the laptop has two ram slots) as opposed to buying single sticks and then pairing them on different days of the calendar.

Which version of Windows10 are you on?

jcdumaguing226

Reputable
Jul 12, 2018
First things first, please don't downgrade the BIOS regardless of what happens, to prevent you from bricking the board and leaving you with an expensive paperweight. If you must, with BIOS updates, move forward, not backwards.

On the second note, which BIOS version are you currently on? Where did you source the chipset drivers from? I'd like to see the sticks of ram on your laptop, links would help or images of said sticks. Then comes the part about the rams you were on, you shouldn't mix and match rams, regardless of them having one or more parameters that meet eachother.

If you're going to look at ram upgrades, look at them as though you're buying a pair of shoes. If you loose one shoe out of that pair, can you buy just one shoe at the store? Similarly, you're advised to buy a dual channel ram kit(if the laptop has two ram slots) as opposed to buying single sticks and then pairing them on different days of the calendar.

Which version of Windows10 are you on?
Oooooh I see thank you very much for the advice. I am currently on the latest BIOS available from ASUS which is ver315. I got the chipset drivers from the official AMD website. Yeah I kinda messed up on the mixing and matching of sticks but it did work but you have a point. Running on Windows 10 Ver 20H2 (OS Build 19042.630)

Here are some screeshots of the specs of the sticks(4GB was the one that came with the laptop, the kingston one is the stick I added)