27" display for laptop with nVidia 1060

fragzzone

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2013
Greetings,

I just got an MSI GS63VR Stealth Pro-469 laptop with and nVidia 1060 GPU. I'm looking for an external display as I would like to play some FPS games like BF1, COD WWII and Wolfestein. I understand the 1060 GPU may lag at 2K resolution so my options narrowed down to the MSI Optix G27C but I also hear the 1060 GPU will not step up to 144hz. So I'm thinking now the Acer KG271 bmiix might be a better option at 75hz.

I'm not looking to maximize frame rates, just smooth gameplay so I'm not sure freesync or g-sync come into play. Any input on my analysis or options will be appreciated, feel free to make any other display suggestions.

Thanks!

Solution

I've never gotten anything out of G-sync, so I just disable it on...

I've never gotten anything out of G-sync, so I just disable it on my displays. GTX 1060 6GB is around the performance of a GTX 980 or GTX 780Ti on average, it can perform alright @1440p, but yes, I would say 1080p is a better option. Keep in mind that your monitor should last much longer (make sure you register for that warranty!) than your GPU in terms of remaining relevant; so you can still get a 1440p 144hz monitor and just DSR down to 1080p if a game is too much to stay smooth @1440p. Then when you replace that 1060 later on with a more powerful card, you are good to go. I recommend that you go with a high refresh IPS display; TN looks pretty drab and, well, terrible, in comparison (I have both IPS and TN displays).

Solution