Question 27" iMac with nvidia 780m 4gb graphics - good for gaming?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

helpmeonce

Honorable
Oct 11, 2013
3.4GHz Quad-core Intel Core i5, Turbo Boost up to 3.8GHz
8GB 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2X4GB
1TB Serial ATA Drive @ 7200 rpm
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M 4GB GDDR5

What do you think?

Shahmeer S

Honorable
Dec 8, 2013

Umm, I think that I made the wrong impression. I don't have a salary, in fact I am merely a 15 year old schoolboy who lives on his father's salary. Oh and I was in S. Korea when I bought it (I move countries every 3 years because my father works in an international company), so I don't really know his salary.

razvan86

Honorable
Dec 7, 2013

dear friend, you did not made the wrong impression. I know you are underage from the way you wrote. Because macs, and in general, apple products carry a premium price, they are targeted for specific people. I asked how much the medium salary is in the country you are...not your fathers salary :))) . Now, I totally understand why some people would say macs are overpriced, or macs are the way they are, and money is always a factor. In my opinion, for a kid, is not a good investment in a expensive computer. Macs are very reliable, you do not have precious information on your computer...except some photos with your friends. But if you work on some research, or you write a book on power electronics, maybe you care much on your work, and fear to loos it, by using a pc, and by extension a Microsoft product. I understand why some professionals would stick to what they know, and not buy a mac, or why some people who like to mess up with their computers will not pay for a mac. Understandable all the way. People do not know how hard and how much work is put into making something reliable, beautiful and powerful, they do not understand, because they don't have the slightest idea on silicon manipulation, material design, electronics, programming, and much much more. For them it is only about price. When you ask people on forums their opinion, believe me, you ask people most likely who do not know what they are write-ing about, they read some where something, and reproduce it to you, it is not their opinion, is something distorted and inaccurate. How many on this forum have a Master Degree in electronics, or mechatornics, or computer science, or power electronics, or even design? Maybe none... but we go and talk about design, cpu temperatures, power dissipation, price marketing and so much more that we do not have a clue. Let's ask some real professionals about this? lets ask a programmer with 20 years experience his opinion about osx architecture... let's ask a designer about his opinion on mac book air or iMac, let's ask a doctor in electronics his opinion on the structure inside of the mac...not cooks, photographers, kids, economists and people who have no education in the matter. What do you say? lets's ask some real people about how sheety the macs are? just to get a fair opinion.

Shahmeer S

Honorable
Dec 8, 2013
Wow, nice speech :)

Again I repeat my point (and add a few).

The only reasons why my family got a mac are:
1. We were getting it at an extreme discount
2. We needed to replace an old sh*tty laptop
3. I guess the mac craze got to our heads

Also, at the time of buying it, I was only 10, so I didn't realize how horrifically underpowered it was. Also, it was not being bought for me, in fact, I only really started using it for school work when I was 14 (because it is compulsory in our school to have a laptop).

Regarding your [epic] speech,
wow man you should become a philosopher haha :)

Oh and, I don't think you need to be educated in the matter to make an informed judgement about Macs. I know that they have high price, low bang for the buck, but are still extremely reliable. I know that it sucks for gaming (personal experience *sigh*) but the OS is very fast and easy to use. I know that it is not the best for IT (seriously, it doesn't even have microsoft access on it), but very good for designing.

Basically, what I'm trying to say is, you don't need to have a master's degree to be quite informed on something and/or have an accurate opinion on it.

framkem

Honorable
Mar 10, 2013
I am not a Mac user but I am looking into switching lol. My friend has an iMac and plays the new Crysis 3 on it (there are youtube videos of this as well) at 1440 (with the 780M card). Here is what I don't quite understand, the FPS was 10 - 13 but there was no lag and I mean 0, smooth as hell. Boot camped windows WTH?

WA3Z

Reputable
Mar 9, 2014

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

I'm so glad to see someone give positive feedback from an actual first hand experience with one of these, all I see is you can get a better deal with pc blah blah blah (yeah I know I can). Thank you for inadvertently helping me so freak'n much...

Status
Not open for further replies.