Question 27" LG won't stay on, powers off sometimes.

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
I have an LG Flatron 27EA5EV-P monitor. 1080p in which the display is great, but sometimes - will not power up after being off (PC in sleep mode) all night.
The monitor has HDMI, DVI-D and VGA inputs.
I have been using HDMI for years. When I went to VGA/DSUB - the monitor worked... until it too started failing with that as well, the same way.
So about 40% of the time, the monitor powers up right. A bit more with the VGA input. Other wise, it shuts off. Press power but, it flickers on (Windows Desktop) - then powers out. Can do that 10 times, won't stay on. Sometimes, it will eventually come on and work.

I made sure the power is plugged in (External brick), even unplugged it and put it back in, makes no difference. Oh, and sometimes, the colors look strange (rare), power on/off = corrects the color. HDMI.

There are only 3 parts to a monitor: Screen, controller board and power supply. The screen is fine. so either a board or power supply?
I would like to keep using it (low on $$$) otherwise, I guess sell it for parts (screen) .

Mr.Tibbs

Commendable
Oct 22, 2021
The Power Supply board most likely is on the way out. If you crack open your display you see those 3 component circuit boards.
Look at the name of the Power Supply and its number. Do a google search and see if anyone has one that they can offer to sell to you.
There is a FET transistor on a heat sink, you can use a magnifying glass and get the number off and try to get one.
Usually near the AC power side of the circuit board.
I just fixed my LG monitor that I use all day long with many hours on it. Get a good Power Supply and it does the trick and I am up and going with a good as new LG monitor like you can also.

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
The Power Supply board most likely is on the way out. If you crack open your display you see those 3 component circuit boards.
Look at the name of the Power Supply and its number. Do a google search and see if anyone has one that they can offer to sell to you.
There is a FET transistor on a heat sink, you can use a magnifying glass and get the number off and try to get one.
Usually near the AC power side of the circuit board.
I just fixed my LG monitor that I use all day long with many hours on it. Get a good Power Supply and it does the trick and I am up and going with a good as new LG monitor like you can also.
This monitor uses an external power brick. There's nothing much on the board... they sell for $25~30. Appears they used the same board for at least 3 years. (pic included - from a different monitor with same back/ports,etc)

By chance, I replaced the monitor with an LG 27" 1440p model that has the same type of connector (appears). I have plugged the ill-working LG into a computer (it's working now) so I will have to wait for it to start failing to try out the newer power brick.

s-l1600.png

Reactions: Mr.Tibbs

Mr.Tibbs

Commendable
Oct 22, 2021
The heat from the components on heat sinks must be the main problem. No fans? The heat just chimneys up to dissapate the excess heat. The monitors that I constantly use eventually get hot and go black to never come on again until a Power Supply is replaced. Yea a couple of
swelled capacitors, but the FETs must be what fail.
Cracking appart your monitor is a stuggle. Pull up from the frame underneat on the front middle top, and work it to split apart with bango picks, or something similar usually used to pry open laptops and Iphones.

Best idea yet that an outside external BRICK is the Power Supply, but how does the high voltage connectors connect? 2 to 4 plugs that have to be disconnected to swap out a Power Supply.

If you counted the hours that go into all this, it would be expensive to pay for your own time.

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
Best idea yet that an outside external BRICK is the Power Supply, but how does the high voltage connectors connect? 2 to 4 plugs that have to be disconnected to swap out a Power Supply.

If you counted the hours that go into all this, it would be expensive to pay for your own time.
True about time. so it becomes a matter of money and not throwing something into a landfill. A person with a broken screen could just replace the screen. So just selling for $20 was considered and let someone else make it work.

But, the monitor failed this morning, so I used my new LG power brick (new monitor) - and the old LG powered up like normal. Switched back to the original power brick = failure again.
So I've just ordered a $16 generic brick, which I will use on my new monitor as I like the design better (Brick in middle with separate 3-prong power over the Brick at the socket = ugh)

Thanks for your input.