[SOLVED] 27 Mbps Connection and only getting 2 Mbps

Oct 22, 2019
Hello, so I was previously on an ADSL router with a connection speed of 15 Mbps and didn't have the problems I'm having right now when I switched to a VDSL router with a connection speed of 25~27 Mbps.
The problem I'm having is even though my speed test shows the speed I listed above, I'm only getting a 2 Mbps connection speed according to monitoring Windows Task Manager when for example I play a YouTube video in 1080p. The expected result which I have seen a few times is that the video would buffer up extremely fast and have no buffering issues, but right now as the problem is occurring the video keeps buffering because the speed I'm getting is 2 Mbps not 25~27 Mbps.

• I'd like to note that my PC which is the only device I'm using doesn't have any background bandwidth causing this issue like (windows update or any other form of service) they're all disabled for me.
  • My phone's WiFi is also turned off while I'm having this issue so it's not pulling bandwidth from my PC or any of that.
  • I'm attaching below 3 screenshots of my problem that might better explain it.

1. The Speedtest Result http://prntscr.com/pmsrcf
  2. My Router Page Speed http://prntscr.com/pmsryl
  3. Windows Task Manager Ethernet speed while playing a video of 1080p quality http://prntscr.com/pmssgd

Solution
I'd say this is an ISP issue. Assuming the physical line from the "ISP network center" to your house is in good condition, judging by your ADSL bandwidth of 15Mbps I assume that your physical line is around 1500 meters long (0.9 miles) which is way beyond the rated VDSL max length (being 1200 meters max for stable 30Mbps bandwidth with many other factors not included)

Lutfij

Titan
We're going to need more info than that!
List your specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

Which version of Windows 10 are you on(assuming it is Windows 10 and not 8/8.1)?

Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling your networking adapter's drivers?

Oct 22, 2019
My PC Specs are:
CPU: Intel Core i7 7700 @ 4.0 Ghz
Motherboard: Gigabyte B250M-Gaming 3
Ram: HyperX Fury 8GB DDR4 @ 2400 Mhz
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB
GPU: Asus Geforce GTX 1060 6GB GDDR5
PSU: Cooler Master 500W
Chassis: Bitfenix Neos

I've tried resetting the router's settings 2-3 times then redoing basic setting such as SSID and Password, but my router is less than a week with me and when I bought it directly from my ISP they said it got the latest drivers and setting pre-configured

z0ove

Prominent
Sep 8, 2019
What's your router brand and model?
Does it has WiFi 5G?
Does your laptop Wi-Fi card is 5G compatible?

if the answers of the questions were NOT that's the problem i think. You should try to use the 5G Wi-Fi band.

You can try connecting the laptop using RJ45 connector (if it has one) and make speed test. If the result was that you spected, the problem is your wifi connection type

I'm telling you that because i used to have the same problem. So i replaced both my laptop Wi-Fi NIC 2.4G by 5G and my old N router by an ASUS router 5G capable and the speed problems gone.

Good luck!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Oct 22, 2019
I'm not using WiFi I'm on a Desktop PC
-My router is a VDSL Huawei HG630 V2
-It doesn't have 5G and this shouldn't be the issue because most of the world doesn't have 5G
-I'm on a Desktop using an Ethernet Cable

grana92

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2014
I'd say this is an ISP issue. Assuming the physical line from the "ISP network center" to your house is in good condition, judging by your ADSL bandwidth of 15Mbps I assume that your physical line is around 1500 meters long (0.9 miles) which is way beyond the rated VDSL max length (being 1200 meters max for stable 30Mbps bandwidth with many other factors not included)

Solution
Oct 22, 2019
That's true when I went to buy this router and was curious about the speed I'm going to get he told me my physical line is around 1500 meters long, further more I've monitored the issue over the past few days and it seems to occur on a fixed time interval for 12 hours everyday starting 7 PM till 7 AM the streaming of any video streaming service would drop to 2.0 Mbps. I've called the ISP many times and they say everything is perfect and they can't find an issue with my connection or cables that might cause this.