News 2800W Super Flower PSU boasts four 12V-2x6 power connectors — good for quad GPU setups used for AI training, not gaming

deesider

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2017
I completely get not for gaming but think back to 2016 and we were getting ramped up that the powers that be were implementing laws that new computers had to sip less energy from the grid. :sol:

Throw in a few years and AI and that push went up in smoke. :ouimaitre:

https://phys.org/news/2016-12-california-nation-energy-efficiency.html
Those regulations simply mandated efficiency requirements for when the PC is at idle.

They were commonly misunderstood at the time, and all these years later people still don't seem to be able to read past the headline.

Jun 4, 2024
The biggest problem in the Americas with this is unless you plan to game in your kitchen or bathroom you won't have an outlet that gets close to this. You can check your breaker panel, most of the outlets in your house are going to be 15 Amp outlets. 15 Amps x 120V = 1800 Watts. Usually but not always the outlets in your kitchen or bathroom will be 20Amp outlets, 20Amps x 120V = 2400 Watts. It's not likely you have larger outlets in your household (there are larger connections but the shape of the outlet is different from a standard 3 prong outlet). It doesn't mean they can't be correctly wired and created by a qualified electrician, but it's not likely to be cheap. This applies to the Americas, mostly the US and Canada, Europe and the rest of the world may be different. You do not want to change the breaker without having adequately gauged cable in your walls, this should only be done by a certified professional, if the cable is too thin you can set your house on fire. 2800W / 120V = 23.3334 Amps

Last edited:

deesider

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2017
The biggest problem in the Americas with this is unless you plan to game in your kitchen or bathroom you won't have an outlet that gets close to this. You can check your breaker panel, most of the outlets in your house are going to be 15 Amp outlets. 15 Amps x 120V = 1800 Watts. Usually but not always the outlets in your kitchen or bathroom will be 20Amp outlets, 20Amps x 120V = 2400 Watts. It's not likely you have larger outlets in your household (there are larger connections but the shape of the outlet is different from a standard 3 prong outlet). It doesn't mean they can't be correctly wired and created by a qualified electrician, but it's not likely to be cheap. This applies to the Americas, mostly the US and Canada, Europe may be different. You do not want to change the breaker without having adequately gauged cable in your walls, this should only be done by a certified professional, if the cable is too thin you can set your house on fire.
So two comments after I complained about people not reading articles past the headline, this guy didn't even read the headline!

Jun 4, 2024
You mean the part of the headline that says it's for AI training - not gaming?! It isn't for 'Gamers' who for some reason have four 4090s but don't understand power draw.
People go for it, instead of being a troll, please help them understand why it's for this not that. The article didn't explain it adequately.

Reactions: iLoveThe80s

deesider

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2017
https://futurism.com/the-byte/gaming-pc-power-california

Same topic 2017 california push to ban high power computers.

Thanks to newly-implemented restrictions on the energy usage of specific consumer electronics including personal computers, the Alienware Aurora Ryzen Edition R10 or R12 gaming computers cannot be legally sold in California or other states with strict power consumption laws
As noted above - the regulations were commonly misunderstood (including by the writers of that article) - they apply only to efficiency at idle. Have a read of the first article you linked, or even look at the regulations themselves.

If you going to be sticking in4x4090's then it's a big non-consumer motherboard in a big case, so why not just design the case for 2xPSUs split the load on the PSUs and feed the power to a backplane, oh yeh, they are called server cases, stupid doing this for consumer grade kit.

TheHerald

Upstanding
Feb 15, 2024
Power usage and efficiency are completely different things. Id bet several paychecks the 5090 will be the most efficient (desktop) card ever released, be it for gaming or other workloads. ISO power, it will just dwarf everything in efficiency.

35below0

Respectable
Jan 3, 2024
People go for it, instead of being a troll, please help them understand why it's for this not that. The article didn't explain it adequately.
Fair enough, but this is not going to end up in many American homes. And the ones that do invest in this will be aware of the issues.
Power usage and efficiency are completely different things. Id bet several paychecks the 5090 will be the most efficient (desktop) card ever released, be it for gaming or other workloads. ISO power, it will just dwarf everything in efficiency.
Agreed. The 4060 already showed this can be done.

The 4060 was derided at the time for not being better than a 3060, but after examining it more closely, it turned out it not only beat the 3060, it beat the 3060 12Gb model, and did it using less power.
And it's price didn't change.

Admittedly it didn't perform that much better but still. Or maybe people expected it to beat the 3070?

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
I completely get not for gaming but think back to 2016 and we were getting ramped up that the powers that be were implementing laws that new computers had to sip less energy from the grid. :sol:

Throw in a few years and AI and that push went up in smoke. :ouimaitre:

https://phys.org/news/2016-12-california-nation-energy-efficiency.html
Well, they were targeting idle power efficiency on monitors and desktops. So the solution for desktops would basically have been to switch to ATX 12VO, which a lot of OEM desktops already are. I'm still a surprised we haven't made a big push to 12VO.

But in general CPU and PSU idle power draw has gotten better in a lot of cases. On the GPU front it went a little sideways with AMDs multimonitor issues and Intel Arc terrible idle power draw.

Reactions: TJ Hooker

CmdrShepard

Prominent
Dec 18, 2023
You mean the part of the headline that says it's for AI training - not gaming?! It isn't for 'Gamers' who for some reason have four 4090s but don't understand power draw.
As if "for X" has ever stopped people from buying stuff in the past?

For example, iPhone is for people who want walled garden and everything in one place. Yet despite clear marketing people still buy it expecting to use it how they see fit.

Or something more recent like bunch of n00bs with more money than tech-savvy buying 13900KS and then having unstable PC.

If this can really deliver 2,800 W (and if we assume 80% conversion efficiency at that load) it will pull 3,500 W from the wall socket. Here in EU with 230V that'd be 15 A -- it's the kind of load reserved for space heaters and air conditioning. Can't wait for the 3-phase power supplies because this is already hitting the single-phase limit.

If this can really deliver 2,800 W (and if we assume 80% conversion efficiency at that load) it will pull 3,500 W from the wall socket
Yeah that kind of power is hard to pull off a wall socket.

I have an Amplifier I bought 30 years ago and I installed 20 amp breakers per channel as the amp has two power cords and draws 1400 watts x2 off the wall ,

Only one home I have lived in could do justice to feeding amp and I had a telephone pole with a transformer about 300 feet from my roof that only fed three homes and at the time never realized how blessed I was.

That power supply would be cool to have around but I would never expect to tap it for all it's worth.

TheHerald

Upstanding
Feb 15, 2024
Agreed. The 4060 already showed this can be done.

The 4060 was derided at the time for not being better than a 3060, but after examining it more closely, it turned out it not only beat the 3060, it beat the 3060 12Gb model, and did it using less power.
And it's price didn't change.

Admittedly it didn't perform that much better but still. Or maybe people expected it to beat the 3070?
I find it funny cause people kept complaining about power draw going up and up and up, the 4060 and the 4060ti gets released with huge (absolutely bonkers huge) power reductions and everybody started complaining about the performance. I don't know - people do actually expect for a new generation to slash power draw by 50% while also being a lot faster? That just can't happen.

Reactions: deesider