[SOLVED] 280mm AIO high idle temp

Irisena

Commendable
Oct 1, 2019
I recently bought a NZXT Z63 to pair it with ny 5600x. Yes, i know it's a bad match or overkill, but i just really dig the screen on the block, that's all.

So, on ambient temp about 22c, i got an idle temp of about 45c. When doing light load like browsimg or youtube, it shot up to like 50-55 pretty often. And an hour of cyberpunk will get you to 70c.

And again, yes i know it is "fine". But to be honest, anything is fine with a 5600x, even a cheapo tower cooler. But its clearly not so cool on a 280mm aio. Trust me i remounted this cooler 4 times already and tried repasting it with 2 kind of different paste. I tried giving it some generous amount, some thin x shape, spreading it out before mounting, and trying other paste. All method result to more or less the same. From the paste spread, im pretty sure the cold plate is properly making contact with the IHS too. Another thing is i ran the 5600x at stock+PBO only.

So yeah, im not sure whats going on here. Is that behaviour supposedly normal? This is my first aio so im pretty confused over here. My aio is set to be an exhaust, but im sure my gpu (3070 ti) dont throw a lot of heat at idle anyway.

Solution
I recently bought a NZXT Z63 to pair it with ny 5600x. Yes, i know it's a bad match or overkill, but i just really dig the screen on the block, that's all.

So, on ambient temp about 22c, i got an idle temp of about 45c. When doing light load like browsimg or youtube, it shot up to like 50-55 pretty often. And an hour of cyberpunk will get you to 70c.

And again, yes i know it is "fine". But to be honest, anything is fine with a 5600x, even a cheapo tower cooler. But its clearly not so cool on a 280mm aio. Trust me i remounted this cooler 4 times already and tried repasting it with 2 kind of different paste. I tried giving it some generous amount, some thin x shape, spreading it out before mounting, and trying other paste. All...

And again, yes i know it is "fine". But to be honest, anything is fine with a 5600x, even a cheapo tower cooler. But its clearly not so cool on a 280mm aio. Trust me i remounted this cooler 4 times already and tried repasting it with 2 kind of different paste. I tried giving it some generous amount, some thin x shape, spreading it out before mounting, and trying other paste. All method result to more or less the same. From the paste spread, im pretty sure the cold plate is properly making contact with the IHS too. Another thing is i ran the 5600x at stock+PBO only.

So yeah, im not sure whats going on here. Is that behaviour supposedly normal? This is my first aio so im pretty confused over here. My aio is set to be an exhaust, but im sure my gpu (3070 ti) dont throw a lot of heat at idle anyway.

Are you Overclocked at all? reason for asking is you can undervolt your Core voltage as some Bios on auto will slightly overvolt and reducing your core voltage can drop your temperature at the core.

Your 3070ti would throw a lot of heat into your case under load and exhausting that heat thru the radiator would not help. Heat inside your case will never be lower than ambient so you should try drawing air from outside into your case.
Max ambient temperature can rise significantly during Summer months and I installed Air conditioning for a tremendous difference.

The flow of air passing thru the case is important. Extra extraction fans can make a 10C difference just adding extra fans and a 140mm rear fan. Every little bit makes a difference. I changed my Fans for Mag Lev PWM and gained 5C with a change to my fan curve profile in Bios.

Yes your temps are a little high however not excessive.
Ideal temps are 10-15C above ambient at idle and 65-75C under load.

Hope this helps (y)

Last edited:
Reactions: Irisena
Solution

Irisena

Commendable
Oct 1, 2019
Are you Overclocked at all? reason for asking is you can undervolt your Core voltage as some Bios on auto will slightly overvolt and reducing your core voltage can drop your temperature at the core
Well, depends if pbo+200 counts as an oc i guess. And i did -10 curve too if that counts as an undervolt.
Your 3070ti would throw a lot of heat into your case under load and exhausting that heat thru the radiator would not help. Heat inside your case will never be lower than ambient so you should try drawing air from outside into your case.
I'm well aware of that, that's why i don't really mind about load temp too much. But on idle, the 3070 ti should produce a not significant amount of heat and should be close to ambient. That's why i'm puzzled by the idle temp. My ambient temp is controlled to be around 22c too.
The flow of air passing thru the case is important. Extra extraction fans can make a 10C difference just adding extra fans and a 140mm rear fan. Every little bit makes a difference. I changed my Fans for Mag Lev PWM and gained 5C with a change to my fan curve profile in Bios
I changed the stock nzxt 140mm aer fans to arctic bionix p140 fan. Both are pressure optimized so i dont think it's an issue. I just like the bionix better looks wise. Fan curve are controlable via CAM, and i just set it to 55% at idle.
Ideal temps are 10-15C above ambient at idle and 65-75C under load.
Yes. This is my target. And yet idle is about 23c delta ambient which is kinda high for an aio. Light load temp are insane as well at a whopping 33c delta.

Hi
What do you have your pump speed set to?

I have a oc'd 3600x to 4.3g running a Corsair H150i Elite Capellix 360mm
my ambient is also around 21-24c (portable ac unit) so it does vary.
My idle temps range 26-29c
Running Aida64 extreme Fpu test with a custom curve set tops out 72-76c (without the fans on extreme.)
Playing Ghost Recon Wildlands for hours on in the temp stays at 58.8c with my gtx 1070ti undervolted the temps on it also run 58-60c.

The only times my previous 280mm cooler ever got to 22c or lower was in the winter time and the window was left open in Denver, Co.

Reactions: Irisena

Irisena

Commendable
Oct 1, 2019
Apparently doing a all core -22 curve optimizer solved all temps issue. Now im getting the temps i want, and a slight boost to cinebench score. Idle is now at 38c and load is still at about 70c. Problem solved i guess.