[SOLVED] 2GB vs 4GB of Vram

Solution
The GTX1050 is a bit stronger.
See tom's gpu hierarchy chart:
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gpu-hierarchy,4388.html

The specs question is more of a academic issue.
AMD and Nvidia use specs differently in the drivers.
Here is a post I made from long ago:
------------------------------------------------------------
VRAM has become a marketing issue.
My understanding is that vram is more of a performance issue than a functional issue.
A game needs to have most of the data in vram that it uses most of the time.
Somewhat like real ram.
If a game needs something not in vram, it needs to get it across the pcie boundary
hopefully from real ram and hopefully not from a hard drive.
It is not informative to know to what level the...
GTX 1050 is faster overall in terms of performance in games. The amount of VRAM is a different issue, not directly related to higher performance if you have a 4GB card per se, but rather also depends on the game being played, and the screen resolution used for gaming. Some games are graphic demanding, whereas others don't tax the GPU that much.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tac 25
Nov 8, 2021
GTX 1050 is faster overall in terms of performance in games. The amount of VRAM is a different issue, not directly related to higher performance if you have a 4GB card per se, but rather also depends on the game being played, and the screen resolution used for gaming. Some games are graphic demanding, whereas others don't tax the GPU that much.
I actually only played games that considered "light" and also in 720p mostly. So will 2GB of Vram suffice that?

Tac 25

Estimable
Jul 25, 2021
@MangAsoy

this is not really an answer to your vram question, but related to gaming. Considering that a GT 1030 could already do a lot of "light gaming", and a GTX 1050 is a stronger card than the 1030. You could probably get away with 720p on a lot of games if you have a 1050.

Last edited:
I actually only played games that considered "light" and also in 720p mostly. So will 2GB of Vram suffice that?
In most cases you'd be better off with the 1050, 2GB is usually enough for 720p. I use an MX150 which is basically a GT1030 for light gaming at 720p on some older titles and that only has 2GB of vram. It does depend on what game though but if it were me I'd go for the 1050.

The GTX1050 is a bit stronger.
See tom's gpu hierarchy chart:
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gpu-hierarchy,4388.html

The specs question is more of a academic issue.
AMD and Nvidia use specs differently in the drivers.
Here is a post I made from long ago:
------------------------------------------------------------
VRAM has become a marketing issue.
My understanding is that vram is more of a performance issue than a functional issue.
A game needs to have most of the data in vram that it uses most of the time.
Somewhat like real ram.
If a game needs something not in vram, it needs to get it across the pcie boundary
hopefully from real ram and hopefully not from a hard drive.
It is not informative to know to what level the available vram is filled.
Possibly much of what is there is not needed.
What is not known is the rate of vram exchange.
Vram is managed by the Graphics card driver, and by the game. There may be differences in effectiveness between amd and nvidia cards.
And differences between games.
Here is an older performance test comparing 2gb with 4gb vram.
Spoiler... not a significant difference.
A more current set of tests shows the same results:
http://www.techspot.com/review/1114-vram-comparison-test/page5.html

And... no game maker wants to limit their market by
requiring huge amounts of vram. The vram you see will be appropriate to the particular card.

Solution