Question 2K DVI-D monitor issues with RX 470 and Windows 10

Apr 1, 2019
Windows 10 system with RX 470 was working fine in my son's room with two 1080p monitors (one HDMI, one display port) but I moved it to my office which has an older Samsung SyncMaster 305 monitor which only has a single DVI port which I plugged into the DVI port on the RX 470.

With this monitor on a boot i can see/use the BIOS fine and then the initial windows logo but then nothing after that. If I plug in a 1080p HDMI monitor it will show my Windows 10 desktop and work fine but the Samsung monitor is no where to be found. I have the latest drivers installed for the Rx 470.

I tried to reload Windows 10 with the Samsung monitor and the install worked fine and the desktop showed up after the install and the resolution was at 1080p but when I moved it to 2K the screen went black and did not return.

I know the Samsung 2K monitor and DVI cable work as I am able to get 2K resolution on my other Windows 10 system with a geforce 210.

I assumed the RX 470 would work for the Samsung monitor at 2K using DVI-D but maybe that was a bad assumption?