$2k Laptop - performance + battery life?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

killernotebooks

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
Sorry, but right now I don't have the 7950 GTX card until next week, and all my 7900 GTX card models are shipped out already. I would run those tests today on your system and when I get the 7950 I can post it.

The numbers you posted:
3dmark 2005 --> 9400 marks on the M9700
3dmark 2006 --> 8700 marks on the M9700
seem a little high/unrealistic for dual 7900 GS cards - the numbers I have seen posted for it are much lower than that, and especially the difference between the '05 and '06 numbers of pnly 700 points, in fact, they make no sense if you have ever benchmarked using both programs, this is a more reasonable spread between them, and this is from a desktop SLi board:
3DMark05: 11916
3DMark06: 7383
Here is one example of m9700 numbers:
TechRepublic Review
I also ran 3DMark06 v102 visual benchmarks on the Aurora m9700. The average 3DMark score was 5000, which is just slightly lower then many AMD desktops. Of the few m9700 notebooks posted on the Futuremark Web site, 5000 was the consistent 3DMark.
I think that this argument is kind of being caught up on 3D mark from a synthetic benchmark that is designed to implement 1 core of a CPU, of which we have a typed in number with no screenshot of the system. If your notebook CPU power/performance isn't an issue AT ALL, since we have already determined the Executioner CPU score is 69% higher then the Alienware, then we could keep focusing in on 3D Mark scores, but we need something more than, "My 3D05 score is 9,400 and my 3d06 score is 8700", because as I noted, those numbers don't make sense.

killernotebooks

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
What happened to the 3D06 Mark score? That just kind of went away and it is all focused on 3D'05? Since I posted a link to the review where he (and the sources he sited all over Futuremark site) got 5,000 PC'06 Marks, but some how the mystery (typed in) scores are 8,700.

What is confusing about OVERALL system performance 69% LOWER?
So you are going to grab a couple hundred extra 3D'05 Marks to LOSE 3,000 PC Marks? An extra 3 fps is worth sacraficing everything else on the system?

I guess I need to put this in perspective. When you're in the gym, and your friend is benching 300 lbs... and you bench 69% less you're benching 93 lbs.
Close%20Grip%20Bench%20Press%20BB-Finish.jpg

furquanatique

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2006
Well... actually I was looking into the OVERALL 3D Mark Score... and not exactly the PC Mark score... which is totally irrelevant to my query, considering the fact that I acknowledged FROM YOU that the Core 2 Duo HAS 2 CORES and the AMD Turion 64 on the M9700 has one... and i ALSO acknowledged based on the previous fact that the m9700 IS slower than the core 2 duo... neways...

consideing the fact that you are being satyrical... I am stopping this discussion here and shall be seeking advice somewhere else... it was lovely being a part of this thread! I learned alot none the less... :p

Oh yes... btw i can also see what kind of a person you are... busy making laptops all day can get to you real fast... and I encourage you to proceed making Satyrical comments and ultimately leave a very IMPRESSIVE image on all your customer who are on this forum...

thanks for your support... mmmm?... but no thankx... :roll:

killernotebooks

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
Well seriously, I had to boil it down because the 3D Mark '06 scores posted are obviously made up, how can I not consider that just wasting time?

Furthermore, 3D Mark '05 is one aspect (the graphics) of the overall notebook, and it doesn't accurately reflect the new notebook technology of multiple cores AND is a synthetic benchmark. So to beat it to death doesn't make a lot of sense. Especially if you are not going to put up screen shots to back up your claims.

To base a notebook purchase decision on one synthetic benchmark is like saying, "I am going to marry this woman because she she nice hair." Ultimately it is going to come back and bite you in the butt.

Avariche

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2006
I understand some of the apprehension with a smaller company. Granted Dell, Alienware, Falcon-NW, Saber are larger companies. One thing about about killernotebooks, is that Mark is straight forward and will tell you like it is. He makes no bones about hardware. Is he satyrical, yes. But I tell you this, I emailed him with questions, and got an immediate response. Anyone sat through the Dell Hell NoHelp Tech Support? You get an honest to god person who knows what they are talking about.

Now, for the readers out there that want to comment on my posting number or any of the other credentials. So as to clarify I do know what I am talking about and am not just backing someone. I've worked with computers for 15 years. I've done hardware, software, networking, data recovery, security, network administration, custom system design, high-end gaming systems, OC to the max, etc.

What laptop do I own? Presario V2555US. Why that model? Good price at the time for my needs. Business laptop to do what I needed to do. Next notebook I buy? It will be a Wakazachi. It is round about where I want to spend, and has what I need in it.

For the performance question. I have a 4200 RPM drive. I've seen molasses travel uphill in January in Antarctica travel faster. 7200RPM will blow a 5400RPM away. Core Duo. Well, I am a HARDCORE AMD fan, and have been for years. After seeing what Core Duo can do firsthand, I have to say they finally handed it to AMD. It took a long time, but it does kick some serious butt.

As for benchmarks, they are great. The give an IDEA of what it can do. Real world performance is going to differ with two identically configured systems. One may fly, while the other may drag.

One more thing I can say, is that you will always know where you stand with Mark. Can anyone say that about Dell or Alienware?

polyformist

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2006
hmmm I do have a small issue with getting images onto the site, So here are the numbers i ran tonight while closeing shop at work.

2k5 (full boot) --> 9462

2k5 (tsr removed) --> 9546

I saved .jpg of each screen shot, and I also did the save of the details on each. I you would accept and email mr. killerN, I would be happy to attach these files, and send them for you to review.

killernotebooks

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
I just read an extensive review on the Alienware m9700 at TechWareLabs the 3D'06 Marks came in more like this:
3dmark06-2.jpg

The Executioner's 3D'06 Marks with a 256 MB 7900 GTX card I tested whips up on the dual 7900 GS, I can test the 7900 GTX with 512 MB and wait 2 weeks and you have the 7950 GTX 512 MB:
T7600-3DMark06.jpg

Focusing on 3D'05 Marks is fine, but like I have said over and over, it isn't an accurate reflection of overall system performance, in fact, it isn't even an accurate representation of current GPU standards, '06 is. I don't think people pay $3k plus for a gaming machine, and NOT want to play the newest games, and I'm sure they want it to last playing next gen games right? Seems like you would want to test on he newest 'synthetic" benchmark you could.

So when we look at the fact that a single 7900 GTX with 256 MB beats dual 7900 GS in SLi and that measuring PC'05 marks yields a 69% improvement on that benchmark with the Intel CPU, and considering the technology in the m9700 is old DDR with a Turion processor that can not be upgraded vs. the newest technology from Intel on both the CPU and RAM... I'm sure we can close the book on the m9700 vs. Executioner debate.

polyformist

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2006
ok, so I know that running the demo version of 2k5, you normaly don't score very high at all due to it not running all the tests,

is this the case with 2k6 version of 3dmark?
also is this the case with pcmark?

I am getting ready to run the 2k6, and pcmark for comparison purposes. =) but I dont have reg versions of 2k6 and pcmark.

polyformist

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2006
ahhh ok, in that case I will hit the demo versions.

BTW do you want those files I saved to my desktop?
I have 2 screen shots, and then those 2 .3dr files that show the over all results?

Atolsammeek

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
well here a freeware program Polyformist so you can post pictures online for free and so on. http://img215.imageshack.us

All you have to do is print screen load up Windows Paint and paste and save Then load the website and make a password.

Oh if you dont have Paint. Use http://www.openoffice.org and download draw. Also freeware.

Sorry nice try I would love to see the benchmarks on the Amd Laptop? I bet killernotebooks would agree.

Your laptop look good KillerNotebooks. But I like light and fast laptops for the road. Like the Alainware m5550 with the t7600 512mb ram soon to be upgraded to 2gb and geforce 7600 go 256mb.

killernotebooks

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
Well, I will tell you honestly that a T7600 CPU and an nVidia 7600 GPU is a bad combo.
:arrow: The GPU is going to bottleneck the system
:arrow: the C2D T7600 is just cost you a lot of money for nothing.

A T7200 is fine for that video card, a T7400 is more than enough if you are number crunching, or doing processor intensive things and need a little extra. Save yourself the money.

To get the full effect of a Core2Duo you need a 7800 GTX or higher class card. I don't know why You are so pumped on Alienware, they are DELL's lapdog, and lost any credibility they once had in the gaming community... but everyone has their own ideas I guess.

I would think that if you wanted mobile performance you would look for the things that lead me to chose my portable system line.
:idea: Battery Life: 9 cell batteries that can play on for hours.
:idea: Size and weight: If you need portability to carry all day, to fit between the coach seating of the most frugal airlines, or on the train, you are talking about a 14.1", maybe a 15.4"
:idea: LCD: The best battery life in the perfect size chassis doesn't mean much if you can't see what you are doing. You need a bright screen for use anywhere outdoors, or with a window to the outdoors.
:idea: Ample power and performance. You don't want to go somewhere where you have to guess what components to choose. You don't want to have to be a hardware expert to configure a computer. You want to go somewhere where they are experts and only offer you the choices that are top of the line. Somewhere where you make your selections based on how much you need and personal preference, and rest assured you aren't getting slipped a 4,200 rpm hard drive to keep their upfront price lower, or cheap RAM that robs you of 3 or 4 percent of your overall system speed.

Quite predictably, Alienware has fallen into the DELL mould of cheap pricing, bargain deals, expensive upgrades and antiquated system components, where you need to be a computer expert to possibly select the right system for the level of performance you are paying for.

This thread was about a month old and was bumped, so I doubt anyone really cares about it anymore. The 7950 GTX is out, not only is it out, I have overclocked the thing an additional 10% over the 575/700 core and memory timings to 625/800. With my special cooling mods, it runs like a champ. It gets well over 10,000 3D'05 Marks so it decimates this dual card Alienware SLi rig.

Not only that, the dual 7950 GTX with X2 dual core in a 20" configuration is out and would throw ANY DELL, Alienware, VooDoo PC I mean HewlittPackard, and these other corporate gaming wanna-be's in a blender and drink it.

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
KN,

Let polyformist go, he/she will never understand (until it's too late). All the minutia is fun to read, but the bottom line is that the C2D kicks the sh!t out of the Turion. All of the gaming companies are putting all of their energy into making multithreaded games, and not for the Conroe, for the Kentsfield. The C2D will obviosly reap the benefit. Let the uninformed, that prefer to battle than learn something, party on with old tech. I hope they enjoy it. A sucker is born every minute. Viva la Turion.

killernotebooks

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
As long as people know that the Alienware has a single core Turion, the choice should be simple.

The AMD X2 Dual Core though, has a couple things gamers should think about that isn't 100% CPU related when deciding on a platform. CPU vs. CPU the C2D is superior, but ancillary things to consider are:
:arrow: The onboard memory controller, which goes hand in hand with....
:arrow: The increased front side bus... which leads to
:arrow: DDR2-800 RAM that has now become available, and the...
:arrow: the nVidia controller chipset lend themselves to overclocking easier.

With the AM2 platform (of the dual core X2) you may be able to upgrade to the 4x4 Quad Core AMD in the future. AMD is pretty good about keeping their platforms for a long period of time. The Turion though, uses a different socket, and will not upgrade to a dual core X2.

Atolsammeek

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
you thinking with amd changing there sockets every year to year in a half means there going to be upgradeable. I dont think so. Amd is the King of socket changes. So far I have seen 2 sockets for Amd moble chips. So please dont give the info Unless your 100% sure there going to be upgradeable. At frist when I heard about the 4x4 They seid it will work with the current am2 fx 62 chips 940 sockets. Sorry to say it looks like they went to the 1207 sockets. So That Amd 940 socket for am2 lasted what 7 Months tops?

Now

Where It would of cost you $1047 starting cost. $2500 with core 2 t7600. 2gb of ram geforce 7600 go 256 mb.

But unlike most people I know how to shop. starting cost $990 core 2 t7600 512mb of ram upgraded to 2gb. which cost $266 Geforce 7600 go free Total cost $2066 Savings of $434. Please note the 6600 geforce go would of been $100 more.

Oh about the geforce 7800 go. Why would I want a bigger laptop that 10 to 15lb. That eats battery life. So if I wanted to go anywhere I have to use the car battery or extra batterys to run the laptop? I am not talking about 30 Min drive. I am talking about a hour and 30 mins one way. So I wanted small and fast. So the laptop is 7lb and 15.4inch. 3 hours battery life and guess what that what I got.

All you are doing killernotebook is trying to sell your products on Toms hardware. Which I think it agenst the forum rules. Oh by the way dont we see any reviews of Killernotebook on tops hardware on Main page or in pc Mag or any reviews online like google dogpile or ask.com. Yet Alainware been on many reviews even pro-star been on a few reviews. It sure sounds like it not the best of the best.

killernotebooks

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006

Atolsammeek

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Oh did I push KillerNotebooks buttons. I think showing facts get the worse side of people. I guess we are starting to see killernotebook worse side.

Please killernotebook Please help people by giving info. Not your laptop advertisments.

killernotebooks

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
ROFL "Push" my buttons? Give me a break.
Atol, you have no idea what you are talking about.
But unlike most people I know how to shop. starting cost $990 core 2 t7600 512mb of ram upgraded to 2gb. which cost $266 Geforce 7600 go free Total cost $2066 Savings of $434. Please note the 6600 geforce go would of been $100 more.
Your system configuration changes every 2 weeks Atol. The funny thing is, you don't even understand why that configuration is totally stupid. You paid a kings ransom for the biggest engine in a Yugo with doughnut tires on it.
Oh by the way dont we see any reviews of Killernotebook on tops hardware on Main page or in pc Mag or any reviews online?
Obviously you don't research any of the stuff you talk about since there's one right on Tom's.
Killer Notebooks Executioner delivers Eurocom their last rites.
Friday Dec. 8th www.TechWareLabs.com - Executioner buries Alienware's m9700.
Later this month Tom's Hardware review on the Assassin X2, and Kodachi.

Atol, you are so far out of your league right now I am going to let you go run around your exercise wheel for a few hundred revolutions.

I don't know where this is coming from, but it wouldn't be so comical to me if I hadn't got this PM from someone I answered...
I just wanted to thank you for you answer to me and all the many other posts that you've made here. Your posts are always well written, well informed and informative.

It also seems like you put up with a lot of abuse here sometimes and never loose your cool in your replies. I admire and respect that.

It's not easy to get rational information or opinions on mundane, day to day "business" compters sometimes on Tom's which is very youth and gaming oriented sometimes, but I think that your advice and opinions are practical, useful, informed and rational rather than of the just "Intel sucks" or "AMD sucks or rules", etc.

Sometimes the world is just a wee bit over emotional.

Thanks,
Gary
Please killernotebook Please help people by giving info. Not your laptop advertisments.
Hey Atol, maybe you can check out some of these posts and point out to me where I am advertising so I can change the format of my posts to be more like yours... whatever that is exactly?!?
http://forumz.tomshardware.com/mobile/Buy-January-ftopict48084.html
http://forumz.tomshardware.com/mobile/bad-Dell-laptop-purchase-ftopict48083.html
http://forumz.tomshardware.com/mobile/slow-file-transfer-Plz-help-ftopict48088.html
http://forumz.tomshardware.com/mobile/Buying-laptop-screen-resolution-ftopict48093.html
http://forumz.tomshardware.com/mobile/GeForce-series-ftopict48094.html
http://forumz.tomshardware.com/mobile/88xx-series-year-ftopict48016.html
http://forumz.tomshardware.com/mobile/-ftopict48085.html
http://forumz.tomshardware.com/mobile/laptop-worth-GW-M680XL-ftopict48087.html
http://forumz.tomshardware.com/mobile/laptop-help-deciding-ftopict48013.html
http://forumz.tomshardware.com/mobile/mobile-GPUs-professional-professional-ftopict48053.html
http://forumz.tomshardware.com/mobile/Xmas-bonaza-play-station-400-ftopict48072.html

>>>If you can spare a hug for Atol it could be the one that makes the difference...<<<

Atolsammeek

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
See you are the type that beleave your laptop is God. If it was such a good laptop. Where are the reviews. From Cnet Notebook reviews and pc Mag. tomshardware. and from other tech reviews. Other then your own words. There Nothing. Type in On google, Dogpile, Ask, Msn Search all I see is Nothing. So please explain this. Could it be that your laptop is nothing. Basicly a barebone system with your logo?

Or are you going to make more excuses. I think everyone in moble forums will like to hear why it not showing on any real tech reviews.

I think you are unprofessional due to the fact you are useing tomshardware Forums to sell you laptop. I can see why people are useing Cpu forums to get the right info. Like which cpu best and such for laptops.

Doughbuy

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
Meh... reading all the posts, I have to say KillerNotebooks has a pretty damn good grasp of notebooks in general, and I'm sure his notebooks are both built proffesionally and merticuously, but his attitude definitly leaves something to be desired. If you work for a company, you never, ever ridicule others, since it goes directly back to you. Would any other top tier integrater start "ROFL'ing" others because they don't know computer. Nope, they try to educate in a nice manner. If the person is being mean, they still have patience. First thing about customer support.

Quality and price is important, but so is customer service and respect. Only the best in the buisness can deliver everything, but you seem to be lacking in the last one. It's okay though, everyone learns. With age comes wisdom, and with wisdom, come profit. It's fine to spread things by word of mouth, but cramming it down people's throat is different. I used to work for an integrator and parts supplier, www.directron.com, and I still advertise for them every so often. But I always keep an open mind, and if anyone calls me out on something, I try to defend it, but never attack them back.

Now I'm back to the hardware forums... the mobility forums are too weird for me.

killernotebooks

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
If it was such a good laptop. Where are the reviews.
Or are you going to make more excuses. I think everyone in moble forums will like to hear why it not showing on any real tech reviews.
Right above your post that said K|N has no reviews, is the post where I gave you the link to the Tom's Hardware review that was done last month, and the review that is coming out this Friday from TechWareLabs.

Notebooks are considered good or bad Atol, based on standard benchmarks.
When you have a single card system turning out 10,440 3D'05 Marks laying waste to a dual card Alienware m9700 that yields 9,400 3DMarks, that's good. That's not opinion, that's the fact!
Alienware m9700 review benchmarks.
Executioner ~ 3DMarks, right on the bottom of the page.
:idea: Oh, yea, BTW, when the numbers are higher... they are better. Kind of hard to argue RAW numbers.
:idea: Also kind of hard to argue how Alienware was caught threatening review sites to give them good reviews.
:arrow: They had the same problem with their 5500 system that was reviewed, the review was bad, they sent another system and it blew up on the test bed.
Alienware has a lot of clout, so they can push some of the people around some of the time, but their day has come and gone... and they know it. You want to capture the gaming market you need to be on the edge, and they are far from that.
I think you are unprofessional due to the fact you are useing tomshardware Forums to sell you laptop.
I gave you 11 links, my past 11 posts, now you have about 15 after today, but none of them you can show where I am selling anything. So since you can't put up, maybe you could... well, see if you can figure it out.
What I don't understand Atol, is
1. Where is this coming from?
2. You have talked more about Killer Notebooks than I have in my last 20 posts combined!
3. Other than what you have made up yourself vs. the actual links to the posts I have made, I seriously DON'T SEE WHAT YOU ARE COMPLAINING ABOUT.

At the end of the day the topic of the Alienware m9700 has been beat to death and like I said above, the 3D'06 numbers he posted were fake. You have real test numbers, and real forum member numbers about HALF of what he posted... I can build the EXACT same system with faster cards, but it is a product at the end of its life cycle and I don't rip people off on obsolete junk! THIS is the bottom line:
m9700 Alienware Review & formum member posts.
7950GTX-oc-3D05.jpg

Thing was spanked end of story.

A hug you can share today could put Atol in a happy place.

killernotebooks

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
Here's a follow up:
TechWareLabs notebook buyers guide
Page 3 - Scenarios
Excellent laptops are offered from several manufacturers including Dell, Gateway, Compaq, HP, Lenovo, Alienware, Killer Notebooks, Asus, and more. Consumers should keep in mind that their options grow with their budget and that several of the custom high end laptop retailers produce not only eye catching but also amazing performance laptops.
techwarelabs_notebook_review.png

ikillnothing

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2006
not to biatch about things but LOLZ Atol got PWNT!. stop BS'ing and go suck a dummy Atol i dont know much about notebooks but everything you posted look like BS even to me. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS