2K monitor at 144hz paired with a 4K monitor at 60hz causing mouse lag issues

Eryk_42

Commendable
Jan 2, 2017
My build is-
CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K @4.4Ghz
Graphics Card: EVGA 1070 SC
RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance @ 3200Mhz

Main Monitor: 2K Dell Gaming S2716DGR (Has G-Sync and runs at 144hz)
Second Monitor: 4K Dell P2715Q (60hz)

I would like to mention that I also tried another monitor with the same problem.
Other monitor tested: 4K LG 27UD68 (60hz)

The Problem
When I have both monitors connected, there is some kind of mouse lag. For instance, when I drag a window on the second monitor in a circle, I can see there is a small but noticeable lag when moving my mouse. This problem goes away when I make the second monitor (4K) my main one using the Control Panel settings found under Screen Resolution. The problem also goes away when I unplug the main monitor (2K) and use only the 4K one. But obviously I want to use both. I can't keep the 4K monitor my main because games want to run on it while I want to game on the one with G-Sync and 144 refresh rate. I also don't want to lower the refresh rate to 60hz because then the games don't run at 144. I also messed around with the Nvidia Control Panel with little to no results.

Any help with this issue would be greatly appreciated. I tried looking on other forums and websites with no avail. Thank you!

Solution
The problem is that you are putting a lot of demand on your graphics card. The 144 Hz refresh rate forces the graphics card to refresh the screen over twice as fast as normal video. Plus the higher resolution on two monitors as well.

One thing that you can try while using both monitors. First try adjusting the refresh rate down to 60 HZ, and check for your mouse lag. Another thing to try is with the 144 Hz monitor at 4k,and then set the other to 1080P. And again check for mouse lag.

Eryk_42

Commendable
Jan 2, 2017

I can tell you that system resources aren't the problem or what you listed. I have tried to set the monitor to 60hz and that solved the issue, but I want to game at 144hz. I can't set the 2K moniitor at 4K because 2K is the highest resolution.
Another thing I should state is that the issue is only on the second monitor that is 4K 60hz. There is no lag on the main one which is the 2K 144hz G-Sync monitor.
Edit: It's not really mouse lag I would say but the lag is noticeable when I move windows around on the second screen. Which is why it's laggy. I don't really know the proper terminology for the problem I'm facing.

Could it be that what you are noticing is the difference between 144Hz on one monitor and 60 Hz on the other. I have a 24" 1080P 144Hz monitor and a 55" 4K UHD TV as my second monitor. I can see both, and the mouse moves differently (as expected). It isn't that the one moves farther on one display. The display is just updated more frequently (so the 144 Hz appears smoother that the 60 Hz).

Solution

Eryk_42

Commendable
Jan 2, 2017

You know, now that you mention it, the mouse does seem to slow down when on the other monitor. I think this is due to the screen real estate. Since I have so much more space on a 4K monitor, the mouse takes longer to move around the screen giving that feeling of slow movement. However, I definitely notice a lag on the LG 4K monitor I have. I will look into this a bit more. Thank you for your time!

That smoothness of movement on the mouse pointer is very noticeable. I've described as smooth as ice before. On my system it seems like it is moving more, but if you look at where the pointer is on both screens it is an illusion. Move it on text and it will end up on the same letter on both displays.

troym514

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2013
Im having a similar issue with mouse lag but I suspect my CPU bc when I look at my hardware monitor, the CPU is maxed but my GPU's(dual GTX 970's in SLI)are fine for usage and temperatures.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts