2K Monitor Option MG279Q vs MG278Qvs AOC AG241QG

Kenneth Lok

Commendable
Mar 19, 2016
Currently, I'm using ASUS VG245H, 1080P 75Hz 1ms gaming monitor with GPU of 1× MSI 980ti. I'm thinking of upgrading my monitor for better gaming experience and graphics. Here's the Choice : Asus MG279Q OR AOC AGON AG241QG and ASUS MG278Q
All of them are 2K monitor with 144/above.
But ASUS arelarger while AOC has a higher refreshed rate of 165hz than 144hz of MG279Q and 278Q.But MG279Q only has 4ms response. It's difficult to make a decision since I can get one of them in similar price. For better performance, quality/durability and gaming experience, which one should I consider?

#gaming
#Asus #AOC
#monitor
#2K
#upgrade

Solution
I own the MG278Q running with a RX480 and freesync. The monitor itself feels pretty durable but i would be careful with the screen on both as the matte display makes it seem rather fragile, which it is. However since both are practically identical, i would recommend the G-Sync monitor to match with your 980Ti. G-Sync and Freesync help eliminate screen tearing and provide a slightly smoother experience which in my opinion is better than the AOC, however it depends on the games you play and if your PC can handle it screen tearing won't be an issue. With a 980Ti however I would still recommend G-Sync, or If you play more competitive go for the AOC although the difference won't be noticeable.
MG278Q is not with GSync. This monitor is with FreeSync.
AOC AGON AG241QG is the one with Gsync.
Difference between 144hz and 165hz is not really noticeable.
27" is bigger but the 24" has GSync. For 1440p, usually 27" is the better pick.
To use the max of your 980Ti, GSync monitor i more interesting.
So...what is it you want, GSync vs Size.
GSync will help smooth up games if your PC can no longer deliver high fps.
If your PC can still push high fps, GSync is not that useable.

For performance, they are almost alike.
For durability, I can not really say anything, I guess both will break if you hit them with a hammer.

Wildthorn

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2016
I own the MG278Q running with a RX480 and freesync. The monitor itself feels pretty durable but i would be careful with the screen on both as the matte display makes it seem rather fragile, which it is. However since both are practically identical, i would recommend the G-Sync monitor to match with your 980Ti. G-Sync and Freesync help eliminate screen tearing and provide a slightly smoother experience which in my opinion is better than the AOC, however it depends on the games you play and if your PC can handle it screen tearing won't be an issue. With a 980Ti however I would still recommend G-Sync, or If you play more competitive go for the AOC although the difference won't be noticeable.

Solution