[SOLVED] 2nd GPU at half core usage

JinxTheWorld

Commendable
Jan 10, 2021
Second GPU with second monitor while playing game using half of 2nd GPU core. Anyone know why?

Edit for more clarification: Running a 55' 4k TV on my 3060Ti and a 1440p 144hz monitor on the 1660Ti. Couldn't get the monitor to run at 2560x1440p 144hz off the display port so i am using the 1660Ti's HDMI out so i can. The performance monitor is showing the GPU's position incorrectly and they are actually: 3060Ti (Top PCIE slot) and 1660Ti (Bottom PCIE slot). Running the TV and monitor in extend mode in two different resolutions and refresh rates.

This is my hardware while running Halo: Infinite (doesn't matter the game, just needed to show what happens to second GPU) and i cannot find specific info for my obscure question.

I have my second monitor plugged into a second GPU 1660Ti (bottom slot), but as you can see the second GPU is using almost half of the core. Is it supposed to do that? I have the game running at 1440p mostly ultra settings @ 100-105 fps on my second monitor. Temp is unaffected and power usage is only 7w higher than at idle(30w at idle).
mZprrq1.jpg

Last edited:
Solution
It's possible Halo Infinite is using the second GPU (mGPU) for computations. But I'm betting 10:1 it's a driver bug.

There really isn't a reason to have two video cards inside your machine in that kind of config. I would pull the 1660ti and put it away, saving it for backup incase you lose your 3060.

Lutfij

Titan
BIOS version for your motherboard? The game is being driven by the GTX1660Ti? The real question is, why are you bothering with working with two cards when you could simply get more out of using the RTX3060Ti as is? You're not in SLI mode either so they won't be taxed the same way.

Reactions: digitalgriffin
It's possible Halo Infinite is using the second GPU (mGPU) for computations. But I'm betting 10:1 it's a driver bug.

There really isn't a reason to have two video cards inside your machine in that kind of config. I would pull the 1660ti and put it away, saving it for backup incase you lose your 3060.

Solution

tecmo34

Administrator
Agree... you only need to run the 3060 Ti in that configuration. Running dual monitors on one GPU is not going to impact your gaming. Also, which slot are you running the 3060 Ti in, the first or second PCIe slot? It looks like the 2nd slot, which is giving you less bandwidth and slowing down your GPU. I

I would remove the 1660 Ti and run the 3060 Ti in the top / primary slot and call it a day!

JinxTheWorld

Commendable
Jan 10, 2021
BIOS version for your motherboard? The game is being driven by the GTX1660Ti? The real question is, why are you bothering with working with two cards when you could simply get more out of using the RTX3060Ti as is? You're not in SLI mode either so they won't be taxed the same way.

BIOS is version 3.90, which is very stable. The game is only utilizing the 3060Ti to render the game as evidenced by VRAM usage. Was just curious as to how running the game on the second monitor is using half of the 1660Ti's core without using more wattage. The Fan does increase speed a tiny bit as well to keep the 1660Ti below 50c.

I am running the TV and monitor in extend mode in 2 different resolutions and hz. 55' 4k 60hz TV is plugged into the 3060Ti and the 1440p 144hz monitor is plugged into the 1660Ti.

3060 Ti only has one HDMI out. Which is being used by my 55' 4k TV. I tried plugging the 1440p monitor into display port but i couldn't put the 1440p monitor at 2560x1440p and 144hz. Tried shoving my old 1660Ti in the bottom PCIE slot and then plugging the 1440p monitor into the 1660Ti's HDMI out. Which worked, no problem. I running the TV and monitor in extend mode in 2 different resolutions and hz.

I tried googling an answer about it but only can find results about things unrelated lol. I like to know what my hardware is doing and look up any weird question i have haha. However this time i couldn't find any answer to my weird question. Was hoping someone here might know the answer.

JinxTheWorld

Commendable
Jan 10, 2021
Agree... you only need to run the 3060 Ti in that configuration. Running dual monitors on one GPU is not going to impact your gaming. Also, which slot are you running the 3060 Ti in, the first or second PCIe slot? It looks like the 2nd slot, which is giving you less bandwidth and slowing down your GPU. I

I would remove the 1660 Ti and run the 3060 Ti in the top / primary slot and call it a day!

It's properly in the top slot. It's just how the OpenHardwareMonitor is showing it that makes it look like that lol. 1660Ti is in the bottom PCIE slot.