Question 2nd monitor isn't being detected HDMI to DP

Araraura

Reputable
Feb 17, 2019
I recently bought a 2nd monitor for my pc, a BenQ RL2455 which is the same as my primary one. I'm trying to connect both to my GPU, which is an RTX 2060, but the problem is that the 2060 has 3 DP ports and 1 HDMI port.

I connected one monitor to the HDMI, and the other one with an HDMI to DP. But the problem is, the one with the HDMI to DP doesn't work. I tried everything I could think of. I tried switching cables, switching the ports, I even thought the DP cable didn't go all the way into the GPU and was blocked by the case, so I disconnected the GPU and slid the cable into it, but still nothing.

I should mention that if I switch the HDMI to HDMI between my 2 monitors, it works on the monitor its connected to. But that's it. I'm running out of options and ideas and I don't know what to do.

EDIT: When I go to my monitor and choose the connection to my PC, I get the error "No signal found", but if I go to the other HDMI on my monitor that is connected to nothing, I get "No cable connected", so it's probably not the wire.

Last edited:
It depends on the DP port type on the card. If DP++, then a passive one does work. If regular DP, then you'd need an active converter.
"The DisplayPort uses an LVDS signal protocol that is not compatible with DVI or HDMI. However, dual-mode DisplayPorts are designed to transmit a single-link DVI or HDMI protocol (TMDS) across the interface through the use of an external passive adapter. This adapter enables compatibility mode and converts the signal from 3.3 volts to 5 volts"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DisplayPort

Araraura

Reputable
Feb 17, 2019
It depends on the DP port type on the card. If DP++, then a passive one does work. If regular DP, then you'd need an active converter.
"The DisplayPort uses an LVDS signal protocol that is not compatible with DVI or HDMI. However, dual-mode DisplayPorts are designed to transmit a single-link DVI or HDMI protocol (TMDS) across the interface through the use of an external passive adapter. This adapter enables compatibility mode and converts the signal from 3.3 volts to 5 volts"
I want to use it in 1080p 60hrz. I see one that offers 4K and 2K at 30hrz. Would that one work or do I need to buy the one that says 60?

As I mentioned the other day, all modern graphics cards support DP++, it is a standard feature. Whatever the problem is, it is not a lack of Dual-Mode support.