2nd RAM Slot causing monitor to not turn on

malsatori

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2016
I bought a second stick of RAM that arrived today, which I tried to install. When I put it in the 2nd RAM slot, the PC will turn on and the fans will run, but the CPU fan stops after around 10 seconds, then starts back up again a few seconds later, repeating that cycle. The monitor also will not turn on and says no signal.

I tried plugging the 2nd stick of RAM into the first slot that is working, and it worked, and neither stick of ram would work when in the 2nd slot. I tried pulling the MOBO battery out for a few minutes to reset the CMOS. I also followed the instructions in my MOBO manual and switched a cover from pins 1-2 to 2-3, then back again.

I have the Biostar Hi-Fi B85N 3D motherboard.
The 2 sticks of RAM I have are both Kingston HyperX Fury, the old one is blue, the new one is black.

I would appreciate any help. The MOBO only has 2 RAM slots so I would really like the second one to work.

Solution
Not that I know of. I could only think of running memtest 95, to check for any errors on each stick, but that's just a stress test. I wonder if there's any BIOS upgrades available which may help with it.

X79

Honorable
It may be because the RAM timings are different. It's best to buy RAM which come in the same kit, to ensure there's no issues. So this could be why.
Can you post more details on each piece of RAM?

malsatori

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2016

Is there any way to check if it is a compatibility issue between the RAM or if the motherboard's 2nd RAM slot isn't working? Both sticks work fine in the first slot by themselves, neither work in the 2nd slot by themselves, and it won't work with the blue in the first slot/black in the second slot or vice versa.

X79

Honorable
Not that I know of. I could only think of running memtest 95, to check for any errors on each stick, but that's just a stress test. I wonder if there's any BIOS upgrades available which may help with it.

Solution