[SOLVED] 2TB NVME Drive not showing unallocated space after cloning.

Mar 27, 2022
Hi guys, I'm new here and I reallyy need some help with that. I bought a new 2TB nvme drive and I decide to clone the data that I had on my 1tb nvme to this new one. I thought that by doing this I would guarantee that no data would be lost, so far so good, I got all data to the new drive but the problem starts when I check that now I have only 1TB available and the rest of the space won't appear as unallocated space on disk manager. The data does not matter, I got a backup of all of it, the problem is that even after formatting the drive multiple times the original capacity don't show up. Please if someone can, help me. I've been trying to fix this for the past 3 days and nothing actually worked :(

All the information about this ssd that I got is here: https://www.silicon-power.com/web/product-P34A80 (It's not a sketchy link, just the official website of the manufacturer)

Solution
Hi guys, I'm new here and I reallyy need some help with that. I bought a new 2TB nvme drive and I decide to clone the data that I had on my 1tb nvme to this new one. I thought that by doing this I would guarantee that no data would be lost, so far so good, I got all data to the new drive but the problem starts when I check that now I have only 1TB available and the rest of the space won't appear as unallocated space on disk manager. The data does not matter, I got a backup of all of it, the problem is that even after formatting the drive multiple times the original capacity don't show up. Please if someone can, help me. I've been trying to fix this for the past 3 days and nothing actually worked :(

All the information about this...

All the information about this ssd that I got is here: https://www.silicon-power.com/web/product-P34A80 (It's not a sketchy link, just the official website of the manufacturer)
You need to use a real disk partitioning tool like Gparted to analyze the m.2 and really see what's going on there. There may be some hidden partitions that are not normally visible. If necessary you could delete all of the existing partitions, make sure there's a correct GPT device identifier and then go through the cloning process all over again. Note that if you are using Macrium for cloning, the interface is kind of quirky where you have to select the disk to be cloned and then the target disk and when you select copy partitions look for a little menu box that says Extend the partitions to fill the new disk.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pog_xampson
Solution
Mar 27, 2022
Guys thanks but I got it somehow! I just rebooted my PC and apparently the ssd just came back to life at full capacityyyyy!!! LET'S GOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

How can I mark this as "Solved" tho?
//Update: Marking a answer as best solution is the only way to change it to "Solved"?

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2022
You need to use a real disk partitioning tool like Gparted to analyze the m.2 and really see what's going on there. There may be some hidden partitions that are not normally visible. If necessary you could delete all of the existing partitions, make sure there's a correct GPT device identifier and then go through the cloning process all over again. Note that if you are using Macrium for cloning, the interface is kind of quirky where you have to select the disk to be cloned and then the target disk and when you select copy partitions look for a little menu box that says Extend the partitions to fill the new disk.
I used exactly this one, Macrium Reflect.

Reactions: dwd999

TRENDING THREADS