[SOLVED] 2x 6pin Connectors to GPU can I use splitters?

totom36

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2014
Hello, recently I've been building a computer and I'm having issues with these 2 parts

ATI RADEON HD 5870

Aero Cool Cylon 400W Power Supply 80 Plus

The motherboard needs 4 pin connection to the atx 12v. The model is Gigabyte H61M 2SPV

Leaving me with 1 4pin and one 6 pin however I require 2 6pins into the graphics card for it to work. Is there anyway I can use a splitter as I've heard Molex to 6pin can be dangerous

Appreciate any feedback :)
Tom.

totom36

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2014
You'll be looking at replacing the psu to run that card, at least a 550w. Besides physically unable to supply the plugs, the Aero Cool's wattage and amps on the 12v rail isn't enough.

https://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/radeon-hd-5870-review-test,13.html#:~:text=Radeon HD 5870 CrossfireX&text=You need a 700+ Watt,on the +12 volts rails.

Thanks for the reply, I've decided I'm just going to buy a new graphics card and sell the one I had installed as I have a spare for now. Would you have any recommendations as to which card I could use in this machine that gives moderate peformace.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Either GT 1030 GDDR5 version not DDR 4 (roughly same or bit better than 5870) or 1650, depending on performance you're after. Both are PCIe slot power driven. Though prices are undesirable atm with chip shortages due to covid and crypto mining. Might consider holding off for now if you can't find a good price.

totom36

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2014
Either GT 1030 GDDR5 version not DDR 4 (roughly same or bit better than 5870) or 1650, depending on performance you're after. Both are PCIe slot power driven. Though prices are undesirable atm with chip shortages due to covid and crypto mining. Might consider holding off for now if you can't find a good price.
Understandable I'll have a look round on eBay and see if something catches my eye. The help is appreciated enjoy your day.