Question 2x SATA -> 8-pin for GTX 1660 Ti ?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Toby_K

Prominent
Jan 7, 2022
Not entirely sure of what you mean here.

A whole new system == a full wipe and reinstall of the OS.

Save all your data to some other drive.
After the new system is up and running, simply copy it back to where you want.

So I should back up my important stuff from the HDD to a different drive, wipe both the SSD and the HDD and then install the OS on the SSD, keeping the HDD brand new and ready for the new system?

USAFRet

Titan
So I should back up my important stuff from the HDD to a different drive, wipe both the SSD and the HDD and then install the OS on the SSD, keeping the HDD brand new and ready for the new system?
You will be doing two complete wipe and installs.

One for the old system that you are giving to the new owner
One for your new system.

Whatever personal data you wish to save from your current existing system...save that to some other drive.
Have that offline while you do all of this.

Toby_K

Prominent
Jan 7, 2022
You will be doing two complete wipe and installs.

One for the old system that you are giving to the new owner
One for your new system.

Whatever personal data you wish to save from your current existing system...save that to some other drive.
Have that offline while you do all of this.

The PC I'm buying already has W11 on it, so I'll just be sorting out my current PC which I will sell, I'd say that the entire setup I 'm buying for 320 bucks is a great deal :)

USAFRet

Titan
The PC I'm buying already has W11 on it, so I'll just be sorting out my current PC which I will sell, I'd say that the entire setup I 'm buying for 320 bucks is a great deal :)
OK

Assuming this is a 'used' system, you personally still need to do a full wipe and reinstall of the OS.
This validates the OS install, and removes any and all existence of the previous users.

Toby_K

Prominent
Jan 7, 2022
OK

Assuming this is a 'used' system, you personally still need to do a full wipe and reinstall of the OS.
This validates the OS install, and removes any and all existence of the previous users.
Thanks for the reply,
so, I asked the guy, and he said that the OS has already been clean installed before he's going to sell it to me.
Also, I saw that there's an option, which allows for a 'factory reset', essentially erasing all your data and keeping Windows installed. Does this count as a clean install or is your data recoverable if you choose to go this way?
here's the article that instructed about it: https://www.makeuseof.com/windows-things-to-do-before-selling/ (starts at '2. Factory reset your PC')

USAFRet

Titan
Thanks for the reply,
so, I asked the guy, and he said that the OS has already been clean installed before he's going to sell it to me.
Also, I saw that there's an option, which allows for a 'factory reset', essentially erasing all your data and keeping Windows installed. Does this count as a clean install or is your data recoverable if you choose to go this way?
here's the article that instructed about it: https://www.makeuseof.com/windows-things-to-do-before-selling/ (starts at '2. Factory reset your PC')
And still I would do it myself.
Where did his OS install come from?

Some years ago, in a BigBox store, looking at the return rack selection of PCs.

A prebuilt HP system, at a good price.

I ask the salesperson - "Has this system been fully reinstalled?"
"Yes sir!"

Later, I ask the manager - "Do you guys do a full reinstall on these?"
"Oh yes! We do a full reinstall on ALL systems that are returned" He was very adamant about that.

Later, when I got it home....
Poking through the Registry, what do I see. The original owners name, address, phone number, credit card num, etc, etc.

Just for the sake of verification, do it yourself.
Trust, but verify.
Full wipe and reinstall.

"Factory reset" only counts with a system from one of the major manufacturers. Dell/HP/Asus/etc.
Unlikely that is what you have.

And no, that is NOT the same as a wipe and reinstall.

Toby_K

Prominent
Jan 7, 2022
And still I would do it myself.
Where did his OS install come from?

Some years ago, in a BigBox store, looking at the return rack selection of PCs.

A prebuilt HP system, at a good price.

I ask the salesperson - "Has this system been fully reinstalled?"
"Yes sir!"

Later, I ask the manager - "Do you guys do a full reinstall on these?"
"Oh yes! We do a full reinstall on ALL systems that are returned" He was very adamant about that.

Later, when I got it home....
Poking through the Registry, what do I see. The original owners name, address, phone number, credit card num, etc, etc.

Just for the sake of verification, do it yourself.
Trust, but verify.
Full wipe and reinstall.

"Factory reset" only counts with a system from one of the major manufacturers. Dell/HP/Asus/etc.
Unlikely that is what you have.

And no, that is NOT the same as a wipe and reinstall.
Yup, ok you convinced me :DD
What also got into my mind is that I can take the new PC, unplug my current one, slam the HDD into the new one, copy all the important stuff there, then put it back into the current PC, as it includes some crucial system folders. That would get rid of the need to use an excessive flash drive, for example.
Then I would make a clean install of the old PC, and while in this menu: View: https://imgur.com/a/TLzopdC

I will delete both drives and install Windows on the SSD.

After that, I can take out the HDD and put it into the new PC, as clean as ever.

USAFRet

Titan
What also got into my mind is that I can take the new PC, unplug my current one, slam the HDD into the new one, copy all the important stuff there, then put it back into the current PC, as it includes some crucial system folders. That would get rid of the need to use an excessive flash drive, for example.
Then I would make a clean install of the old PC, and while in this menu:
No.

To some other storage device, copy your personal files to it.

Your personal data....doc/mp3/video/whatever.
"system folders" have no purpose here.

Do this from your current existing system.

In your NEW PC, have only ONE drive connected.
Full wipe and reinstall, of whichever OS you want. 10 or 11.

After the new system is up and running, connect whatever drive you copied this data to, and copy it into wherever is relevant.

Data, not "system folders".

Toby_K

Prominent
Jan 7, 2022
No.

To some other storage device, copy your personal files to it.

Your personal data....doc/mp3/video/whatever.
"system folders" have no purpose here.

Do this from your current existing system.

In your NEW PC, have only ONE drive connected.
Full wipe and reinstall, of whichever OS you want. 10 or 11.

After the new system is up and running, connect whatever drive you copied this data to, and copy it into wherever is relevant.

Data, not "system folders".
At what point should I wipe the current HDD? In the situation as pictured in the link above? I want to put it into the new build, but have it clean…

USAFRet

Titan
At what point should I wipe the current HDD? In the situation as pictured in the link above? I want to put it into the new build, but have it clean…
Assuming there is NO data left on this drive, connect it, delete ALL existing partitions in Disk Management....
Then, New Simple Volume, Format, give it a drive letter.

Reactions: Toby_K

Toby_K

Prominent
Jan 7, 2022
Assuming there is NO data left on this drive, connect it, delete ALL existing partitions in Disk Management....
Thanks!
If I’ll have no more questions, I’ll update once I’m done/get stuck in the process :D

I never thought that posing a question in a forum will make me buy a new PC in the matter of 24hrs heh

Toby_K

Prominent
Jan 7, 2022
So I finished yesterday, thanks for all the help :)
Put 16GB more RAM in it, so I’m at 24GB now.
Did a clean Windows reinstall as well, put it the 1660Ti and another 2TB HDD. Everything’s running great, I’ll put up the listing for the old PC later today.