[SOLVED] 2x16+2x32 DDR4 instead of spending the extra $150 on 4x32?

wr3zzz

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
For my next build the maximum DRAM need is 96 for the entire duration of its usage. Going with 2x16+2x32 instead of 4x32 could save me about $150+.

I am very paranoid about DRAM compatibility after running into continuous compatibility problems adding sticks to my DDR3 system. It seems DDR4 is even more problematic and everywhere seems to suggest in 4 slots setup one should always go with a kit.

Solution
For my next build the maximum DRAM need is 96 for the entire duration of its usage. Going with 2x16+2x32 instead of 4x32 could save me about $150+.

I am very paranoid about DRAM compatibility after running into continuous compatibility problems adding sticks to my DDR3 system. It seems DDR4 is even more problematic and everywhere seems to suggest in 4 slots setup one should always go with a kit.
if run sticks of different sizes you might lose some performance, because let´s say one stick of ram of 8 with one of 4 in dual, it will run in flex mode, like 2 sticks of ram of 4 in dual and the remaining 4 in single, if you mix brands there will be not so major problem, if you mix frequencies you will lose performance and even if you...

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador

Either you buy a matched set as in one package or you roll the dice with the memory not working together your choice.

Feb 4, 2021

if run sticks of different sizes you might lose some performance, because let´s say one stick of ram of 8 with one of 4 in dual, it will run in flex mode, like 2 sticks of ram of 4 in dual and the remaining 4 in single, if you mix brands there will be not so major problem, if you mix frequencies you will lose performance and even if you mix too far away frequencies it might crash your system, i don´t know how much ram you need but if you really need 96, i would go 4x32 same brand same frequency, look at what frequency your cpu and mdb support so you don´t lose money buying a higher frequency

Solution