2x2:2 problems with using two directional 5.8 antennas in two different directions on a single AP

acoustic5679

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2007
Hi guys - What are the potential problems as to why you would not want to use 2 5.8 directional panels (12 degree) in two different directions to cover two separate APs?

This environment is a RAP Cisco 1572EU AP in single-band mode supplying access to two different MAPs in opposite directions each a mile distance. The customers set up 2 panels (12 degree I think) to the two 5.8 ports (5.8ghz). the radio (rap) is in 2x2:2 mode.

Multi-path interference is one thing I thought of, but what are the other potential issues?

Solution
It will likely work just using 1x1 on each. Getting mimo to work when you are using directional antenna is not simple. I know they sell antenna that have a horizontal and vertical antenna combined into the same enclosure to get mimo wifi feeds. It can also be done with physical spacing but this tends to quickly get into areas that you need to talk to someone who specializes in rf engineering.
It will likely work just using 1x1 on each. Getting mimo to work when you are using directional antenna is not simple. I know they sell antenna that have a horizontal and vertical antenna combined into the same enclosure to get mimo wifi feeds. It can also be done with physical spacing but this tends to quickly get into areas that you need to talk to someone who specializes in rf engineering.

Solution