[SOLVED] 3.5” External HDD Enclosure or Dock

Dylan Beckett

Respectable
Jul 12, 2021
Hello

I am planning on buying 2x 8GB Seagate 5400rpm Internal HDD’s as External Backups.

I’m assuming it would be wiser to get an Enclosure for each of them to keep them dust free (rather than using Docks naked?)… but is that the correct logic?

Would heat be a problem with enclosures?

I plan to leave one plugged in all the time for auto backup, and the other probably sat there but detached until I back it up too (as an isolated backup in case my PC gets fried etc).

Or I might just detach them both – would that help them work better for longer and extend longevity/reliability?

I could just get docks and either leave them out permanently on my desk or take them in and out of the draw when not in use (but the latter seems impractical as I’ll be less likely to do the backups as often).

I can’t find any dual enclosures that aren’t way more expensive – so just looking at two singles.
I like the idea of the vertical ones – any problems with those?

Does it make any difference which brand/model I get?

They all seem to be between US$15-30 with the average being in the middle…. And all look like no name generics to me? But I don’t know these things so could be wrong?

Any good ones to look at, bad ones to avoid?

They won’t need any power will they – get that from USB 3.0?

BTW I don't care that much how they look - but assume it would be better if opaque to keep sun out?

Here's a list of candidates from my local shop... but I'm open to buying online or in store anywhere
https://www.umart.com.au/pc-parts/s....0.0.0.0&sort=shop_price&order=ASC&pagesize=3

Any other advice?

Thank you for your help

Solution
Don't need to move the drives - they'll just sit there near my PC.
Then install backup drives internally.

Using external enclosures makes sense only, if you need to move drives to a different location/carry them with you.

With external drives it's quite easy to accidentally pull by the cable and knock them off the table.
Mechanical drives rarely survive being dropped.
Hello

I am planning on buying 2x 8GB Seagate 5400rpm Internal HDD’s as External Backups.

I’m assuming it would be wiser to get an Enclosure for each of them to keep them dust free (rather than using Docks naked?)… but is that the correct logic?

Would heat be a problem with enclosures?

I plan to leave one plugged in all the time for auto backup, and the other probably sat there but detached until I back it up too (as an isolated backup in case my PC gets fried etc).

Or I might just detach them both – would that help them work better for longer and extend longevity/reliability?

I could just get docks and either leave them out permanently on my desk or take them in and out of the draw when not in use (but the latter seems impractical as I’ll be less likely to do the backups as often).

I can’t find any dual enclosures that aren’t way more expensive – so just looking at two singles.
I like the idea of the vertical ones – any problems with those?

Does it make any difference which brand/model I get?

They all seem to be between US$15-30 with the average being in the middle…. And all look like no name generics to me? But I don’t know these things so could be wrong?

Any good ones to look at, bad ones to avoid?

They won’t need any power will they – get that from USB 3.0?

BTW I don't care that much how they look - but assume it would be better if opaque to keep sun out?

Here's a list of candidates from my local shop... but I'm open to buying online or in store anywhere
https://www.umart.com.au/pc-parts/s....0.0.0.0&sort=shop_price&order=ASC&pagesize=3

Any other advice?

Thank you for your help
Docs give you better flexibility because you can plug in other dives, even 2.5" and SSDs even when live without disassembling. 3.5" HDDs also need a separate power supply which comes with docking stations by default.
On the other side, docks are bulkier and not as handy to carry around but also let disk run cooler which may be problem with enclosures.
Dust is no problem with HDDs, they are hermetically closed but dust can collect in the enclosures too.

Dylan Beckett

Respectable
Jul 12, 2021
HDDs also need a separate power supply which comes with docking stations by default.

I thought either some, or all of the newer versions of USB 3 and up could provide enough power on their own for this?
I have a Z690 Gigabyte Aorus Pro DDR4 Mobo - if that helps you see what my system can do USB wise?

On the other side, docks are bulkier and not as handy to carry around but also let disk run cooler which may be problem with enclosures.

Dust is no problem with HDDs, they are hermetically closed but dust can collect in the enclosures too.

Well - at the very least the other problem is my table is front of a large wise window - gets very hot in direct sun as well as very cool sometimes with wind etc... So that can't be good either!

I'd really love to hear most of all if it matters what enclosure I get - random cheapest generic or if I really need to get a specific brand and minimum cost enclosure?

Thank you

Then install backup drives internally.

Using external enclosures makes sense only, if you need to move drives to a different location/carry them with you.

With external drives it's quite easy to accidentally pull by the cable and knock them off the table.
Mechanical drives rarely survive being dropped.

Solution