Question 3.5 years after building my computer, I think the motherboard died.. what do you think?

ArtDeco3

Reputable
Sep 3, 2015
I recently went on a 7 day vacation. Before leaving, I shut down my PC and unplugged the power cable.

After returning, my computer won’t start at all. I am getting a 00 from Dr. Debug. I breadboarded the PC and I don't think that anything would have happened to the processor. I also noticed that the case fans, when plugged in, would not operate at all. The only fans that would work were in the PSU, the GPU, and my CPU cooler. I don't have any speaker for the motherboard, but I’ve worked through a lot of troubleshooting to no avail. Do you think that replacing the motherboard could solve my problem?

In the last month, there were two RAM errors on the AsRock Z170 Extreme 6+ motherboard. Dr. Debug showed error 55 on two separate occasions. The first time, I removed and then reinserted the RAM sticks. Everything was fine. The second time, I did the same and then ran diagnostics on the RAM. It failed, so I shuffled the sticks around, and the RAM test was passed 3 times in a row, and I was able to use my computer with no problems.

Here are my specs:
PSU: Corsair RM1000i
GPU: GTX 980Ti Zotac Amp! Extreme Edition
CPU: Intel Core i7 6700K
RAM: 16 GB G.Skill Ripjaws IV 3000MHz
Motherboard: AsRock Z170 Extreme6+
Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB
CPU Cooler: Corsair GT110i

Last edited:

ArtDeco3

Reputable
Sep 3, 2015
Sounds like the RAM is probably bad. If the RAM doesn’t work, the PC won’t boot. Do you have a spare stick or know someone that does to try a different known working stick? Maybe a local PC store to try?

Unfortunately, I am not so lucky and I live in a very remote area... I don't have any PC stores nearby.
Shouldn't the dr. debug move past 00 even if the RAM is not inserted?
On AsRock's website, it says: "Please check if the CPU is installed correctly and then clear CMOS."

Well, you have a history of RAM errors and nothing else has changed. It’s possible to be many things, but you know you have had RAM errors before. Electronics typically get worse, not better. How many sticks of RAM do you have? Have you tried all of them singularly and tried to boot?