3 7850s dead. whats the culprit

itstjax

Honorable
Jan 17, 2013
Im having trouble with my build atm. I am now on my third xfx hd 7850 2gb core edition and im pretty sure it just fried. I was playing guild wars 2 when I started getting some small artifacting (I simply thought it was a glitch because my pc was running in good temps.) then computer crashed and I get no display now. when I try to boot I get one post beep as if everything is running fine hut I still get no display. when I actually remove the card I get multiple beeps which is normal to my understanding. The mobo is a gigabyte 970a.... I don't believe it's the mobo killing the cards because of the boot process. But im beginning to doubt the cards are just dying this fast on their own. the psu is a 650w seasonic bronze mk 2. any help or suggestion on where to look next would be great. im pretty xfx isnt going to rma me another card so I'd like to test an other possible problems before I also purchase a new card.

Th_Redman

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2011
Would you have another PCI-E video card around that you could install...and run your comp to rule out the motherboard? Your right...it does seem unlikely that 3 HD 7850's would die like that. Also, as a long shot...I had a rig that my PSU died causing artifacts during gaming because the fan wasn't spinning. Just check, when you boot up, the PSU fan is spinning. Good luck.

itstjax

Honorable
Jan 17, 2013
ill check the fan. but how would I go about testing the power regulators or the psu beyond checking the fan.... if another video card works should I rule out the mobo? Also what psu should I replace my seasonic with. . and finally since I'm sure xfx won't rma another card should I just wait for the r9 series?

itstjax

Honorable
Jan 17, 2013
some Yeah I tried that but I think the card is already fried and I don't have a second to test with atm. ill probably go to a pc shop tomorrow though. if we can't pinpoint the problem I guess ill just mope until the new r9 series comes out and start shopping for a new card...... smh.

itstjax

Honorable
Jan 17, 2013
it just sucks being at a complete loss as to what is causing the issue. When i also need to buy a new card. I think I'm going to get the psu tested although. I don't really know how to it to see if it's burning the cards up. Because It definitely gives enough juice to get the machine to post.... I'm really leaning towards mobo issues. ... but if mt gives the ready beep at every boot.

itstjax

Honorable
Jan 17, 2013
well i was just reading some other post. and it appears to say that a mobo will not be able to burn the card. so it must have something to do with the psu if this is true.