[SOLVED] 3 displays on an RX 470?

m.little87

Prominent
Nov 4, 2018
Is this possible if I use a USB port and a DVI splitter cable? Can the card handle it with 8gb RAM and i5 2500k?

Solution
That's the same thing. Graphics are just what is displayed ON your monitor. If you want to game on two or three displays then you need ONE graphics card that not only has the same number of outputs, but is capable of driving that many pixels at the resolution and settings you wish to run them at.

RX 470 is budget card, and that particular one is a budget model even for the 470 series. Most of them HAVE multiple outputs. Even so, unless you are running at a very low resolution, like 720p, with pretty low in game settings, you'll never have playable frame rates trying to game on three or maybe even two monitors. You need a more powerful card unless you are playing very low demand games.
USB port has nothing to do with your graphics card.

What is the model of the card you want to use with three displays. Probably, this is not a problem, but it will very much depend on WHAT input options your monitor has and in some cases, whether or not you are willing to buy an active adapter or not.

Using a splitter cable is only going to give you duplicate of the display, not independent display, if that is what you are wanting.

m.little87

Prominent
Nov 4, 2018
I want to use 3 monitors for a single display when playing games. If not a splitter cable, I assume a DVI/VGA box would be the same way as well?

I am willing to nab adapters for them, the monitors I have, have both VGA and DVI outputs, but my graphics card only has a DVI.

Can't be done on that card. It has only ONE output. You need three outputs of some kind in order to game on three panels. You need a different card. You can get display function through other methods, such as USB or iGPU in some cases, but you will not be able to use those outputs for gaming with a three panel configuration, or even two panel, on that card.

Besides which, you'd be stuck with low settings, if at all, even if it HAD the outputs, because you'd be trying to drive triple the number of pixels and that card would not be capable of doing it on any decent settings, on any AAA games. Maybe on some light demand eSports games, but since it lacks the outputs, it's a moot point anyhow.

That's the same thing. Graphics are just what is displayed ON your monitor. If you want to game on two or three displays then you need ONE graphics card that not only has the same number of outputs, but is capable of driving that many pixels at the resolution and settings you wish to run them at.

RX 470 is budget card, and that particular one is a budget model even for the 470 series. Most of them HAVE multiple outputs. Even so, unless you are running at a very low resolution, like 720p, with pretty low in game settings, you'll never have playable frame rates trying to game on three or maybe even two monitors. You need a more powerful card unless you are playing very low demand games.

Solution

m.little87

Prominent
Nov 4, 2018
I mostly play classic games, which a lot on my list aren't supported by Eyefinity. Would using a USB 3.0 for a second monitor be adequate for use as a browsing/documents screen?

Using the one plugged into the graphics card as my dedicated gaming monitor.

Your CPU has HD graphics 3000, which you can use straight from the motherboard iGPU output. No USB necessary. You may have to enable dual output, for both iGPU and PEG/PCI in the BIOS, but I'd first try just connecting a monitor to the motherboard output and see what happens because you might not have to do anything extra.

What is the model number of your motherboard?

m.little87

Prominent
Nov 4, 2018
It's ASUS P8P67 LE (REV 3.0) LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard. To my knowledge it has no other display port. Leaving me to think USB 3.0 may be the only other option.

You are right, that board has no iGPU support. My first suggestion is that you might want to find a board that does, because your CPU absolutely does.

Most H and Z series LGA 1155 motherboards have video outputs on them. You just happen to have a lower end chipset board.