Question 3 Identical computers running windows 11 use a different amount of CPU

Jun 9, 2022
I have 3 Identical computers with these specs:
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-9400 CPU @ 2.90GHz 290GHZ
Motherboard: ASRock B365 Pro4
Graphics card: Built-in with the motherboard
System: Windows 11
Let's call the first computer that I built ASRock1, and the other two ASRock2 and ASRock3
The only difference between the 3 computers is that ASRock1 has 32 GB of RAM while the other two have 24 GB of RAM. The RAM are identical, with the same amount of GB on each one.

I have 4 identical apps that I have programmed running on each computer, and the power options are all set to High-Performance, the defender is turned off.
ASRock1(The one with the most ram), Is constantly on 100% CPU usage while the other two are running between 30-60% CPU usage.
Is this because ASRock1 has 32 GB of RAM while the other two have 24 GB of RAM? I don't think a higher amount of RAM would cause the CPU to use more resources.
I'm stuck on this and I can't find any way to fix this. Any ideas?

kanewolf

Titan
I have 3 Identical computers with these specs:
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-9400 CPU @ 2.90GHz 290GHZ
Motherboard: ASRock B365 Pro4
Graphics card: Built-in with the motherboard
System: Windows 11
Let's call the first computer that I built ASRock1, and the other two ASRock2 and ASRock3
The only difference between the 3 computers is that ASRock1 has 32 GB of RAM while the other two have 24 GB of RAM. The RAM are identical, with the same amount of GB on each one.

I have 4 identical apps that I have programmed running on each computer, and the power options are all set to High-Performance, the defender is turned off.
ASRock1(The one with the most ram), Is constantly on 100% CPU usage while the other two are running between 30-60% CPU usage.
Is this because ASRock1 has 32 GB of RAM while the other two have 24 GB of RAM? I don't think a higher amount of RAM would cause the CPU to use more resources.
I'm stuck on this and I can't find any way to fix this. Any ideas?
Is the 24GB in #2 and #3 because you have three 8GB DIMMs or two 8GB and two 4GB (unlikely).
If you have 3 DIMMs the motherboard may have to run the memory in single channel mode.

Is your program highly RAM-dependent that it's spilling out of the 24GB machines into page file? That could certainly cause the CPU to have to wait around until the data gets back from the HDD/SSD.

Seems like a pretty simple test would be to move swap the 32GB RAM (4th 8GB stick?) into one of the other machines and see if that fixes the issue.

Jun 9, 2022
That imbalance in the RAM could be your problem. It is a simple test to remove the unbalanced RAM from #2 and see if your performance improves because the RAM is in dual channel mode.
Make sure you read the motherboard manual to ensure you leave RAM in the optimum slots.
Actually, #1 has 2x 16GB DIMMs, #2 and #3 has 3x 8GB as I said earlier. I'm going to try to swap all DIMMs between #1 and #2 to see if the performance gets worse on #2 and better on #1 as soon as I can, and I'll get back with the results.

kanewolf

Titan
Actually, #1 has 2x 16GB DIMMs, #2 and #3 has 3x 8GB as I said earlier. I'm going to try to swap all DIMMs between #1 and #2 to see if the performance gets worse on #2 and better on #1 as soon as I can, and I'll get back with the results.
It is also possible that the 2x16GB can run at higher clock speeds than the mismatched RAM in the other two hosts.
First question would be do you actually NEED more than 16GB RAM? It is uncommon to need more than that.