[SOLVED] 3 min boot time off NVMe SSD on brand new PC build

Status
Not open for further replies.

nickbeef

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2015
Brand new PC build, fresh install of Windows 10. Boot drive is off an NVMe M.2 SSD on a MSI x570-A Pro motherboard.

Getting what looks to be killer read/write speeds off the drive in CrystalDiskMark, do doesn't seem to be an issue there. But booting up the computer sits on the splash screen for about 3 minutes. It's insane. I read a number of threads on this subject where it was requested that the OP record a Windows Performance Toolkit scan, which I did. Here's a link:

https://is.gd/wGs7F3

Any help would be great

Solution
You also have a problem with E drive. I strongly recommend you to replace them both. If you can also share screenshot of the F drive.

By the way E,F,H drives are internal drives. Maybe they are tightly packed. Remove both drives, and buy a high capacity drive instead and do not use more than 2 internal HDD, as the temperature seems high.

nickbeef

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2015
CPU - AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
Mobo - MSI X570-A Pro
GPU - EVGA TRX2060 XC
Memory - G.Skill 32GB DDR4 3600MHz
Boot Drive - Inland 512GB NVMe M.2 SSD

Ok, because I do video editing have have a number of drives attached - 2x WD Black (for projects and media), 1x Seagate 8TB (for backup), 1x Crucial SSD (for cache files), 1x DROBO with 32TB in RAID for archival projects.

Yes. I realize I should try unplugging all these drives to see if one of them is somehow causing the issue, but in the first day and a half that I build this PC, I noticed the long boot times also, but figured it was just Windows updating, installing drivers, etc.

I can try to take a picture of the Splash screen later. But it's the screen while the PC is booting up that lets me know I can press <del> to get to the BIOS.

nickbeef

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2015
When lot of drives are connected, BIOS has to initialize all of them. This increases boot time and is normal.

Ok, take away the drive and test, then re-insert them one-by-one, if necessary, and test again...

But that being said, I just built this PC and moved the drive from my previous PC build - I don't have an exact boot time for the old PC, but no way in hell it took 3 mins to boot. It was fast, like perhaps 20 seconds, and had the same drives (except the 8TB Seagate). But still, increased time or not, 3+ minutes boot time is ridiculous... like unacceptable.

But yes, let me take away the drives and re-post the results.

Oct 26, 2019
I tested a new seagate 1tb hdd for my friend. i have a wd black nvme ssd boot drive and it sat on a black screen before the splash screen for my msi z390 for about 3 minutes before hitting the splash screen and taking an additional 2-3 minutes. not sure what was wrong with the drive but i couldn't find it in cmd diskpart or recognized by the computer. when unplugged, or with my 2tb barracuda plugged in the boot time is its usual <10 sec for the nvme ssd

USAFRet

Titan
Ok, take away the drive and test, then re-insert them one-by-one, if necessary, and test again...

But that being said, I just built this PC and moved the drive from my previous PC build - I don't have an exact boot time for the old PC, but no way in hell it took 3 mins to boot. It was fast, like perhaps 20 seconds, and had the same drives (except the 8TB Seagate). But still, increased time or not, 3+ minutes boot time is ridiculous... like unacceptable.
You moved the NVMe drive with OS from an old system to the new system?
Well, that could be the actual issue.

Windows is not as Plug N Play as we'd like it to be.

Either it is:
The system having issues with the old OS
or
One of your other drives, including the Drobo, having issues.
or
Both

I'm thinking it is the old OS.
With new hardware like this, a clean install is always recommended, often required.

Cotangent

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2012
Have you tried to benchmark the SSD and check to see if you're within spec? And can you confirm that the OS is installed on the M.2? And can you post a screenshot of disk management?

Oct 8, 2019
am not an expert but i would like to share my observations. maybe the BIOS searches for the OS in the external drives before loading it from your SSD and hence the delay

Because the BIOS was mentioned here I want to put this out there. In my BIOS there is a setting to change the delay of the splash screen so that you have more time to hit the "get me into BIOS" button. You might look to see if your bios has that feature and make sure that it somehow did not get changed to longer time. I know this is unlikely to be the source of your issue but I thought it did fit here based on the BIOS conversation.

I agree DISCONNECT ALL DRIVES other than your boot dirve until everything is stable and runnig in windows then add the drives in one by one rebooting each time I have multiple drives and the first tiem they were all conncected.... system did not like that... but by connecting them one at a time and rebooting at each connection I was able to get my boot drive to be recognized faster and thus get my SSD boot time to be back to it's normal 28 seconds

Lets test behavior with ONLY the M.2 NVME drive present during install and testing...(i.e., disconnect any/all other drives, regardless if thought to be good)

I saw just a few days ago that a failing drive, apparently polled during bootup , even though freshly formatted and essentially empty.. increased my boot time from 7-8 seconds to.....(drum roll> 3 minutes when attached!
(Other SATA drives have no impact, but a failing one will hang things up VERY quickly!)

falcon291

Honorable
Jul 17, 2019
CPU - AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
Mobo - MSI X570-A Pro
GPU - EVGA TRX2060 XC
Memory - G.Skill 32GB DDR4 3600MHz
Boot Drive - Inland 512GB NVMe M.2 SSD

Ok, because I do video editing have have a number of drives attached - 2x WD Black (for projects and media), 1x Seagate 8TB (for backup), 1x Crucial SSD (for cache files), 1x DROBO with 32TB in RAID for archival projects.

Yes. I realize I should try unplugging all these drives to see if one of them is somehow causing the issue, but in the first day and a half that I build this PC, I noticed the long boot times also, but figured it was just Windows updating, installing drivers, etc.

I can try to take a picture of the Splash screen later. But it's the screen while the PC is booting up that lets me know I can press <del> to get to the BIOS.

One of your external HDs is failing. You must try to unplug them one by one, and find the culprit. After finding it I strongly recommend to replace it. Each external HD would increase the boot time a bit, but 2 minutes is too long for a NVMe PCI-X system.

nickbeef

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2015
yes, I unplugged all the drives except the boot drive. Re-booted: got about 7 second boot times.

I think I narrowed it down to one drive causing the issue - incidently it's my most important "Project" drive that's a 4TB Western Digital Black.

I'll work on swapping it out, but in the mean time, is there any other tests I can do on the drive to see if it's failing?

falcon291

Honorable
Jul 17, 2019
yes, I unplugged all the drives except the boot drive. Re-booted: got about 7 second boot times.

I think I narrowed it down to one drive causing the issue - incidently it's my most important "Project" drive that's a 4TB Western Digital Black.

I'll work on swapping it out, but in the mean time, is there any other tests I can do on the drive to see if it's failing?

Install CtrystalDiskInfo, you will some SMART values giving an alert. If not it might be related with the SATA-USB interface. It is hard for a WD Black fail.

nickbeef

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2015
Ok, so not 100% sure what I'm looking for in CrystalDiskINfo readout, but the drive that's causing the issue has a Health Status of "Good", while a different drive (WD Black 1TB) has a Health Status of "Caution"

CrystalDiskInfo results

Again, it is not my E: drive that is causeing the issue. It is my F: drive.

USAFRet

Titan

It IS failing.

If you continue to mess with the "problem drive", the closer it is to failing completely.
Replace NOW.

Reactions: lkymos
Status
Not open for further replies.